Boost output for 220 ohm headphone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a presonus 24c audio interface and Beyer dynamic 770 pro 250 ohm headphones ( got a deal on them or would have gone 80 ohm). The output on the audio interface is not capable of driving the headphone to high levels. Can a headphone amp be added inline to the headphone out to boost the level?

Thanks
Bill

An audio interface is basically an external sound card which then depends on the quality and the price as to what output chips it has .

That being so I don't see why you cant buffer the output with a good quality headphone amplifier as long as the output isn't loaded with too low an input impedance .

My expensive audio card (internal ) connects straight onto the input of an old Arcam audio amplifier and sounds great.

I have built plenty of buffers to interface with other audio equipment its no big deal.

This is the headphone out spec of the Audi interface card.
Headphone Outputs
Maximum Power 47 mW / channel @ 56Ω
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz (±0.5 dBu, unity gain, unwtd)
Dynamic Range 83 dB (A-wtd, 56Ω load)
THD + N 0.01% (1 kHz, 0 dBFS, loaded)
Impedance Working Range 32Ω to 300Ω

The 1,9V amp you mentioned would only be about 1,37dB louder than the 47mW across 56 ohms, which is 1,622V. Don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend the time and effort building something for a decibel and a half.

There should be a good assortment of projects/solutions capable of delivering 4 or 5V across 250 ohms. 5V would be about 9,5dB more than the 47mW you have. 250 ohms is a fairly easy load.

Cheers

Account Closed
Joined 2010
You can go safely with the classic NJM4556 op-amp with a gain of 5x...20x.Before trying anything fancy build this one and i can bet you'll really like the sound on 250 ohms cans.I have the dt880pro and i discovered this small pre in a yamaha cassette deck while monitoring some cd player...it sounds better than the usual noninverting topology with the same chip.

Attachments

• yamahaheadphones.png
    yamahaheadphones.png
    57 KB · Views: 125
Account Closed
Joined 2010
If you wanna try something out of the ordinary try this one.You can use different op-amps for the input and output op-amps and you can also use two in parallel (one full dual can like lm6172) for the output section with a 100 ohms resistor in front of each one.Both sections of LM6172 in parallel per channel will give you the possibility to drive 32 ohms cans with +-5 v supply

Attachments

• technics headphones.png
    technics headphones.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
This review has detailed headphone output measurements. The unit seems to be largely voltage limited, delivering 2.01 Vrms into 300 ohms and 1.88 Vrms into 150 ohms.

This seems like a good opportunity to use the Wire SE-SE board in a new build. You'll want a gain of about 6x (15 dB) to max out the 11 Vrms it can deliver.

If you're impatient, something like a JDS Labs Atom should do the job fine as well.

Thanks guys, your info has been quite helpful.I may just bite the bullet and return them and buy the 80 ohm version. I got a open box deal on Amazon and they looked like new so I suspect the previous purchaser had the same issue. The review of the 24c was informative if this had been another interface it probably would not have been an issue.

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.