OTL amp for headphones, good idea ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks guys,

Best to avoid OTLs so ? Or are there ok for very low impedance as the big ESL loudspeakers, i.e. not suited for the high impedances seen with headphones?

I read the new oaps (TI 16xx family) you can see everywhere in headphones amp are very good and noiseless but unatural ?

In theory diamond like solid states schems or OTL, so w/o outputt trafo or dc blocking caps sounds good to me but I really don't know in real life if good and-or risky for headphones ?

Too much hum for a big magnetic planar headphones ? Saw ESLs Staks still use tubes in their best amp and so did Fostex with its flagship headphones amp - while much more complicated that the little Drop's amp

Attachments

• Zotl1.jpg
    Zotl1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Zotl3.jpg
    Zotl3.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Zotl23.jpg
    Zotl23.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Thank you, I'll check it out. But .. to be honest.. I'm enjoying this so much I'm actually going to put it into a proper chassis, with all the goodies it needs. It's just such an amazing experience now, this kind of detail, dynamics and bass drive, first I was like 'holy ****'. It just needs to stay in my system. But I'm open to new things - as always :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.