ESS 422H AMT Hybrid Headphones

I just got my new ESS 422H AMT (32ohm) headphones yesterday and have put it through its paces. Listened to it on various amps (DIYA SE Class A and commercial Class AB) and compared against the rest of my phones: DT880 (250 ohms), HE400i planars (32ohms), Status OB-1 (55ohms), and Audio Technica ATH-M30x (55ohm). Build quality wise, they exceed all the others by several orders of magnitude. All walnut, heavy cast zinc or aluminum frames, either pleather or leather earpads and headband, textle covered cable with walnut grip on 3.5mm jack. They look and feel like $600 headphones, not $150 headphones. The detailing in the metal castings that hold the wires internally so there are no loose wires visible on the headband or yoke is really nice. The metal works looks like an investment cast piece of sculpture. They come in a nice box and there is a nice zippered compact carrying hard-case covered in ballistic nylon.

I listened to them on the Desktop Class A ( big PCA with 130mA bias current and 21v rail), a Fiio A5 (LME49600 Class AB with Muses opamp gain stage), and Aksa's Silicon Harmony (SE Class A with 1200mA bias current), and finally a Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) with tube front end and SS output stage. All of the amps sound great but the Silicon Harmony wins here of course.
I let them break-in overnight playing some bass heavy pop music. Not sure if that did anything but wanted to give the suspension on the dynamic driver a chance to soften up. So far, they sound amazing and have more detail and resolution than any of the other headphones without being fatiguing. They will reveal flaws in the record that you did not hear before - mostly because they are 110dB/1mW sensitivity. Sort of like balanced armature IEM's in sensitivity which is crazy. Don't take much power - so the amp doesn't work as hard. Less distortion from the amp.

The sound is balanced and works for all genre's: jazz ensembles, girl and guitar, heavy metal, pop, dance/hip hop, classic rock, folk male vocals, folk female vocals, strings chamber orchestra, Hans Zimmerman movie sountracks, and orchestral classical. The bass is very powerful and doesn't sound boomy and boxy - and this is the first closed back headphone I have heard that sounds this open. The mid range is smooth and well textured - non sibilant, and the highs are clear and shimmering. Really the best of both worlds of dynamic and membrane drivers.

So far, these are now my favorite headphones. They have sensitivity of my balanced armature IEM's, the bass of my OB-1's, and the hghs of my HE400i's, but eith more detail. Nothing about them is a negative thus far. I will continue to listen and see how the long term durability is and report back later.

Hello, I also got my shortly used pair ESS 422H last week, the Shure Pads and the Sennheiser Headband is still installed.
Before them I used DT-880 Edition 250 Ohm, AKG K702 and ATH-911 (my first own Headphones in the 90's, still like new) they all Sound linear in my ears.

The ESS 422H Sound completely different, much more bass and less treble and mid.
I think Voices Sound a Little bit like behind a curtain.

Can you agree with this?

I wish they had a little bit more treble and mids, is there anybody else who thinks so?

Is there a way to tweak the Headphones to get the Sound more linear?

Marc

I just got my new ESS 422H AMT (32ohm) headphones yesterday and have put it through its paces. Listened to it on various amps (DIYA SE Class A and commercial Class AB) and compared against the rest of my phones: DT880 (250 ohms), HE400i planars (32ohms), Status OB-1 (55ohms), and Audio Technica ATH-M30x (55ohm). Build quality wise, they exceed all the others by several orders of magnitude. All walnut, heavy cast zinc or aluminum frames, either pleather or leather earpads and headband, textle covered cable with walnut grip on 3.5mm jack. They look and feel like $600 headphones, not $150 headphones. The detailing in the metal castings that hold the wires internally so there are no loose wires visible on the headband or yoke is really nice. The metal works looks like an investment cast piece of sculpture. They come in a nice box and there is a nice zippered compact carrying hard-case covered in ballistic nylon.

I listened to them on the Desktop Class A ( big PCA with 130mA bias current and 21v rail), a Fiio A5 (LME49600 Class AB with Muses opamp gain stage), and Aksa's Silicon Harmony (SE Class A with 1200mA bias current), and finally a Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) with tube front end and SS output stage. All of the amps sound great but the Silicon Harmony wins here of course.
I let them break-in overnight playing some bass heavy pop music. Not sure if that did anything but wanted to give the suspension on the dynamic driver a chance to soften up. So far, they sound amazing and have more detail and resolution than any of the other headphones without being fatiguing. They will reveal flaws in the record that you did not hear before - mostly because they are 110dB/1mW sensitivity. Sort of like balanced armature IEM's in sensitivity which is crazy. Don't take much power - so the amp doesn't work as hard. Less distortion from the amp.

The sound is balanced and works for all genre's: jazz ensembles, girl and guitar, heavy metal, pop, dance/hip hop, classic rock, folk male vocals, folk female vocals, strings chamber orchestra, Hans Zimmerman movie sountracks, and orchestral classical. The bass is very powerful and doesn't sound boomy and boxy - and this is the first closed back headphone I have heard that sounds this open. The mid range is smooth and well textured - non sibilant, and the highs are clear and shimmering. Really the best of both worlds of dynamic and membrane drivers.

So far, these are now my favorite headphones. They have sensitivity of my balanced armature IEM's, the bass of my OB-1's, and the hghs of my HE400i's, but eith more detail. Nothing about them is a negative thus far. I will continue to listen and see how the long term durability is and report back later.

Hello, I also got my shortly used pair ESS 422H last week, the Shure Pads and the Sennheiser Headband is still installed.
Before them I used DT-880 Edition 250 Ohm, AKG K702 and ATH-911 (my first own Headphones in the 90's, still like new) they all Sound linear in my ears.

The ESS 422H Sound completely different, much more bass and less treble and mid.
I think Voices Sound a Little bit like behind a curtain.

Can you agree with this?

I wish they had a little bit more treble and mids, is there anybody else who thinks so?

Is there a way to tweak the Headphones to get the Sound more linear?

EDIT: I found the thread in head-fi.org community, it Looks so that I'm not the only one who has this perceive of the Sound.

The Question is, will there be a solution to improve Sound with a change in the crossover between the two Drivers?
Will a resistor Control the dynamic Driver for better, more ballanced Sound?
Will a better filter does more improvement in Sound?

I think it's a diy community… ;-)

Marc

Last edited:
Sorry, it was a joke as answer for this detailed tip I got. ;-)

I haven't opened them till now.
I think I will try a resistor in line of the dynamic Driver at first.
If it works it would be a solution to put some dip switches or a Rotary switch under the cushions where you can switch between different resistor values for personal Sound tweaking.

Another Question is if the dynamic Driver should be cut off in the treble so that we have a real simple two way crossover like the one in a Speaker.

Yesterday I found the Time to open up the ESS422H and tried a mod for less bass.

The Dynamic Driver has 27 Ohm and the AMT has a capacitor with 10µF in line with +.

I changed the Layout of the Little Board on the Dynamic Driver.
At first i made a cut, see the attached Picture.

Then I changed the capacitor Location and insert a 10 Ohm resistor instead.
The capacitor went to an other Position and the + in and the +AMT cables have to be changed.

I hope you see it on the second attached Picture.
On the top you see the changed layout and on the Bottom you see the Standard layout.

I tried some resistor values, and the 10 Ohm Version was the best in my eyes.
The bass is always good (like in the DT990 i think) but much less than before.
The treble and bass are at the same Level now and it sounds much better then before.

I think the next step will be damping of the naked Wood in the Cups.
I also will take a try with a coil instead the resistor in front of the Dynamic Driver.

I also will do a balanced mod on them, but I'm not sure how I should do that.
I could Change the 3,5mm 3pol with a 4pol or a XLR Mini 4pol.
Or I will add a second 3,5mm Connector on the Right Can, than I could use my Sundara Cables.

If I open the cans next time I will make a Picture of the changes, yesterday I was so busy with listening after the mod, so I forgott the take Pictures of the done mod.

Attachments

• ess422h_cut.jpg
    ess422h_cut.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 310
  • ess422h.jpg
    ess422h.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I think I also have 2mm at home, I will give it a try.
Another thing that could be modded are the two Ventilation holes on the Cups.
That are a Kind of bass-Reflex holes, I will try to cover one or both Openings and it would be interesting if the bass will get a little more control.

Btw. I ordered these cushions from Ebay, they Sound and feel good:

Ohrpolster Ohrkissen Ohrpads Fur Sony MDR ZX770BN, MDRRF985RK , MDR-RF6500 | eBay

Last edited:
Yes they are, I got my second pair of cushions yesterday and installed them on the ESS422H and together with the 10 Ohm Resistor they Sound great.
And the cushions feel very comfortable, because they are very thick and soft, more comfortable then the sure ones I also own.
The leather is the same material like the headband is, so it looks original.

Two weeks ago i testet the cushions before I added the resistor.
I ordered the cushions for my Sony MDR-ZX770BN and when I saw that they fit on the ESS I ordered another pair for them.

Last edited:
Mine arrived.

I'll be honest, the cushions need to be replaced and there is a thin layer of foam on top of the pad that needs to be removed. I bought the Dekoni Velour for the Sony MDR-7506 as advised by somebody before and I found a big improvement. They don't look as beautiful as the original though.

The replacement of the cushions is a pain but feasible.

My headphones had an issue with the jack. One of the soldered cable was bent and shorting when wearing the headphone. I had to open the main cup to bend one of the cable and put a small piece of tape between them.

I didn't like the inside:

1. Soldering quality is not good.
2. The cabling arrangement and the cable quality inside the cup is not up to the exterior.
3. The frame surrounding the main driver has been roughly melted to make space for the jack and avoid the frame itself to overpush the soldered cables on top of the jack.

This is a clear sign of layout problems and QC issue. It's a shame considering the sound after the cushions replacement.

If I consider the sound and the exterior, these are headphones worth much more than their price, although, due to the issue I found I think they are worth of a ~150$ tag.

can they handle good recordings of percussion at high levels? The dynamic HE350 HiFiMan headphone distorted like hell on bass drops which would be of ease with Superlux's cheap HD562. (- had Stax nearly 40 years ago - lovely midrange - depended on interface, power amp or dedicated Stax amp too)