Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Modding Fostex T50RP headphones
Modding Fostex T50RP headphones
Modding Fostex T50RP headphones Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2020, 01:56 AM   #1
passive420 is online now passive420  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Modding Fostex T50RP headphones

Not much here on the Fostex mods, possibly this thread could die like prince Andrews' reputation...

On the off chance someone else has modded or bought some modded Fostex phones, I'd just like to ask for opinions and experiences. I picked up a mint pair of ex demo T50RP mk3's for a bargain so thought to give it a go. Instead of paying silly money for a few bits of felt using the Mayflower kit, I got everything from Amazon. Now I have enough to do around 50 headphones for the same money!

Reviews of modded phones are generally very good especially the Argon mk3 from ModHouse Audio. These cans can really shine if done right it seems. If someone here has some Argon's, I would love a little peek inside

The basic method involves lots of damping - acoustic foam on the insides of cups and modelling clay on the driver baffles. Then according to taste, felt over drivers and cotton/ natural felting wool inside cups. I had the sense to weigh each baffle after adding the clay to get them both exact. Upgraded pads are a must with these, so have a couple types to try.

The 3D printing files for the open Alpha cups, kindly donated by Mr speakers, are available on on HeadFi. So will hopefully try these out sometime.

If someone is thinking of trying this then get in touch, I'll send everything you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1813.jpg (93.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 8th February 2020, 02:19 PM   #2
chalky is offline chalky
diyAudio Member

Saw this mod a while ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FostexMod.pdf (200.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 8th February 2020, 04:56 PM   #3
passive420 is online now passive420  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chalky yes saw that on RobRobinette site. Thought of trying it but for now I simply replaced the existing socket with a non locking one. I butchered the sound with the first mods with way too much clay in the baffle. Subsequently improved it but not brilliant so a way to go yet tuning them.

Not sure if you have seen the Open Alpha project where you print your own ABS cups thereby recreating the Alpha Dogs by Mr speakers. Supposedly very good.

Modding Fostex T50RP headphonesHide this!Advertise here!