Hakuin SE Class A HP Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Stuffing Diagram. Abbreviated silkscreen designations require this as hard to tell which are which between C and R. C’s have a bar on the end of the component. But those are hard to see sometimes.

Attachments

• D7C490CF-BE3F-4A1B-BB7B-DAC2EBE0763C.jpeg
    D7C490CF-BE3F-4A1B-BB7B-DAC2EBE0763C.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 597
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Of coursse! I need to build a prototype to make sure it works as designed and check for ease of use, battery life, etc. it goes without saying that the sound quality needs to be super. My concern is the apparent lack of interest as you are the only one at this point. Maybe once people see a real product that is not vaporware and has a price tag, more interest will bubble up?

Or perhaps a good review on HeadFi or Headfonics will stir up the interest?

If interest does arise, this discussion will move over to the GB section. The technical aspects will be discussed here.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@XRK71 -

After building the PCAs, I've been living vicariously through your threads to watch how a product evolves from idea to prototype and onward.

My own love is the "therapy" of the parts sourcing, and assembly vs. purchase of finished products. Given the correct price / performance ratio, I could be swayed to buying my first "finished product" in a very long time. I haven't quite picked up the final balance of what will be DIY for this particular project.

Still watching with interest.

Soldering and mounting stuff in cases is np here...my DIY interest is in the design and the performance.

I do like an accurate BOM and parts layout and things to do when initially setting up or biasing, voltage checks...

Thanks for doing these projects!!

Much Appreciated!
Alex

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and New Year!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We will have a nice accurate BOM with this one thanks to IAIMH. I didn’t realize there were folks willing to DIY this all SMT amp - it’s got some tricky VSON parts that only can be done with paste and a hot plate or hot air. Nothing smaller than 0603 though.

Will keep a DIY version in mind then rather than all robo-built.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I was honored that XRK971 allowed me to try building an amp from prototype boards. The amplifier section went off without a hitch (I hope) hand soldering the components with some careful planning. The power supply and battery management system requires a whole new skill set for me with paste and a heat gun. With a bit of coaching, I think I can manage to learn how to better solder with paste, hot plate, and heat gun. At the moment, I am paused. I have to take a step back and rethink the plan.

Anyway... here is a picture of the progress so far :D. Incredibly fun. Now I need a proper scope. LOL!

#SMTChallenge

More to come...

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 533
Do you have any stats on what loads this amp can drive? Minimum/maximum impedance. What is the power / current handling like? (Sorry if I missed it in the thread already)

I've acquired a pair of ortho headphones that need a good class A amp but they are a bit power hungry..