Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias

Mine.

Set the bias to 5.1 volts and left it overnight, this morning it reads 5.106 and 5.107.
Gotta be happy with that.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Great job, fmmech_24! You're going to have a lot of fun with your HPA design!

You might want to experiment with different bias voltages and currents than the standard Noir, since your HPA will operate on a lower supply voltage than Noir. Different supply, different optimum bias point.

The IRF510 in your supply smoother, has a fairly large gate-to-source voltage drop. Thus the supply smoother has a fairly large input-to-output voltage drop, perhaps on the order of 4.0 or 4.5 volts.

_

Attachments

• vd_id.png
    vd_id.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 890
I have ordered the items in the Mouser basket, save 2 items as these weren't in stock.

For the Alps (delivery expected Februari 2020) I chose as temporary replacement:
1688-RK16312A0B85
RK16312A0B85
ALPS Potentiometers
And for the Littelfuse I chose:
650-RXEF050-2
RXEF050-2
Littelfuse Resettable Fuses - PPTC

If there are better alternatives at Mouser, please advise, for other builders.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The ferrite core is out of stock at Mouser. Any easy replacement?

Since you're in the US, the best idea is probably to just buy it from DigiKey (LINK).

Maybe the second best idea is to buy Mouser part number 710-74270035 , keeping in mind that its diameter is much larger than the Laird bead which the Noir PCB is designed to fit. I expect it might be a little tricky to thread a plastic cable tie through the mounting holes on the PCB, encircling and securing such a wide core. But you may prefer this kind of challenge, rather than placing a DigiKey order. Extra long (8" , 200mm) zip ties might be useful here since they allow you to have plenty of "slack" above and below the board, and yet be able to mate the two ends, as you're positioning the coil and gradually tightening the zip tie. Amazon Link