Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias

I have a tube preamp and love the sound out of it would like to control volume via the preamp rather than Noir, would it be okay if I bypass the volume control on the Noir PCB?

The volume control on the Noir is at the input so seems like redundant in my use case scenario. but I am not that technical hence the question.

last and least question on sound, are the highs by any chance too energetic or fatiguing? I do prefer a bit smoother highs.

Yes, you can bypass the pot and connect your preamp to the input on the pcb. (or just leave the Noir's pot on maximum)

The sound will change for the better or worse when you connect your preamp but you could experiment with different input caps (C22/72) and also try removing C27/77.

Reactions: 1 user
Thx, my headphones are dynamic 24 to 250 ohm, 98 to 103DB sensitivity and I presfer listening at low volume. There is 5DB gain, I could be wrong but may be it's a bit more than I ever need, is there a way to reduce the gain on the amp to unity or the circuit is not designed for that sort of adjustment?