Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias
Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA bias Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2020, 03:13 PM   #101
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

fmmech_24, beautiful soldering! Let's hope it sounds as nice as it looks!
Old 21st January 2020, 12:50 AM   #102
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

I was told my previous attempt to share my pictures had failed. Here’s another try;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by billyk; 21st January 2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 21st January 2020, 01:02 AM   #103
bchassy is offline bchassy  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the photo. That is nicely done. Gotta love purple wire.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

I completed my NOIR build earlier in the week. It was a fun build. When I plugged it in and listened to it thru a DIY pair of bookshelf speakers (old Madison design with Vifa drivers) I was totally floored at the articulate and nuanced the sound that emerged (Roon--> RP3 endpoint--> Hifiberry Dig+ Pro Toslink --> Schiit Modi MB --> NOIR -->ACA --> Speakers). I had never heard those speakers sound so good. Same result with Audeze LCD-1. Color me impressed.

Last year when I built my WHAMMY I used a red case with red Riverstone knobs I bought on Amazon at $10 for a pair. I used the other one on the NOIR. I think the red knob on black case looks terrific.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6737.jpg (108.7 KB, 33 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #105
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on a very nice build, bchassy! The red knob does really pop against the black background of Noir. Maybe you'll want to also install a red power on/off LED to complete the look ...?

BTW I just ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-X's myself. Really looking forward to pairing them up with Noir (plus a couple other headphone amps, for comparison)!

_

Last edited by Mark Johnson; Yesterday at 10:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Mark:

I neglected to thank you for good work on the Noir and this thread. Really helpful. Thanks.

The red led is a good idea. If I get it done I'll post it. The one I have in there now is more orange than yellow but it's definitely not red enough. Red and black are a great color combo.

I loved my LCD-Xs but sold them off last Spring for reasons I do not remember. I have new LCD-1s. They are extremely light, feel great, and to me at least they ooze quality. The sound is surprisingly close to many higher price planars. To my aging ears at least. That said, I am sure the LCD-X will sound great with the Noir.

Noir, a two transistor headphone amp: class-A, single ended, 150mA biasHide this!Advertise here!