Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

a little help getting started (wireless headset)
a little help getting started (wireless headset)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2019, 01:55 AM   #1
Yamibelle is offline Yamibelle
diyAudio Member

Question a little help getting started (wireless headset)

I have been poking electronics for a long time (since elementary school)
I have been poking at audio equipment for just as long, however never something to the tune I am about to attempt.
The closest I have gotten is my current wired headset and that is just scavenged and repaired earbuds rewired with a mic to a 4 contact 3.5mm plug.(like those you hook into a cellphone or at least used to some new phones have ditched the jack ie the new iphone) along with an adapter that cuts the mic out of function and returns to a traditional 3 contact.

The reason for this project is adaptation to a wireless using those same 4 and 3 contact plugs. I went looking for some form of bluetooth host knowing that later i could with relative ease make my own bluetooth headset with my custom wired headset(never attempted but should not be all that different from the home made headset) I was never able to find a host device i could wire up to the 4 contact plug. The closest I could come was something that was good for a 3 contact plug(left channel right channel)

I am very inexperienced in the field of diy audio there is a thought that I might actually be able make my own bluetooth host device that would let me carry the mic left channel and right channel. so i have no idea how to carry the signals back and forth wireless.

I do know I have found quite a few interesting upgrades for my wireless headset once I start understanding some of the stuff I have found. maybe even so far as using an Arduino patched into the circuits to: mute, switch source and control volume. I have also already figured out how to wire up the power supply off: 1.5v, 3.4v, 7.8v battery but still have not figured out the wireless bit.

I know there is a good chance someone has already posted exactly what I need. there may even be something in the store here thats exactly what I need however I dont know what I am looking for.

I do have a thought of trying to convert the signals from +/-2.5v to 0-5v and pipe it threw an Arduino at 8bit then back to +/-2.5v however I have not a clue yet how to do this as its my first diy audio project I am not even sure the Arduino can even handle it. I suspect at some level it is possible as I have assembled an Arduino that can play wav files from a memory card threw a directly wired 4ohm speaker. i am also willing to bet there is a better option then using an Arduino and plan chasing that first cause it would have better quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if your just pointing me to another topic that already been discussed that I have been unable to find due to my lack of diy audio knowledge and what I am looking for
Old 11th October 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
hackbart is offline hackbart  Germany
diyAudio Member

So, just to be clear, you want to make a wireless bluetooth headset with mic?
Is your current headset something special (special sound signature that you love and dont want to change/heirloom of your grandpa)?
Or do you just want a electronic project to work on and understand the circuitry better?
Because if you are looking for a wireless headset, then there are a dozen of reasonably good and cheap options to buy (basically almost cheaper than the components for a bluetooth sender/receiver unit).

If you just want to keep your equipment because you like the sound of it, the easiest way (depending on the sensitivity and impedance of you existing headphones*) would be to just buy a bluetooth sender/receiver unit and plug in the cables of you headphone/mic. You may have to build or buy a adapter that converts the one 4-pin jack to two 2/3-pin jacks for seperate headphone and mic. This costs about 10$(for a cheap) to 50$(for a reasonable good one) and is a plug-and-play solution with built-in battery that works fine as long as your headset is easy to drive. One recommendation would be one with the CSR8675 chipset, as it supports apt-X HD.

If you want to have the same solution with a little bit of electronic fiddling just buy a bluetooth headset, disassemble it and use the sender/receiver unit from that. You could run into troubles with too-far-off impedance difference with the amp of the bluetooth headset, but you could check that before ripping everything apart.

If you want to do it soley for the electronic fiddling/soldering hobby, you could have again a look in the direction of the CSR8675 chipset, which you can buy for about 20$ as a pcb (or other chipsets from the CSR family if you are looking for cheaper options).
The CSR8675 gives out a i2s signal, you then need some sort of ic (basically a DAC to translate the i2s to you analog headphone/microphone signal.
You can also buy complete CSR8675 solutions with battery for about 30-50$ and might also need a Y-adapter as stated above.

*if your headphones are easy to drive (high sensitivity, low impedance) they should basically work with even the smalles amplifiers.

I have the same problem as you, I only have hard-to-drive headphones and want to get them mobile with a battery-powered bluetooth device.
Its way harder/almost impossible to find something good here.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Yamibelle is offline Yamibelle
diyAudio Member

I am trying to build the other end the end that plugs into the host device.
Since writing the original post I have been able to make a little bluetooth device that connects to my current wired headset and will connect to both my phone and pc via bluetooth with a power supply that is estimated to last 6 months to 10 years with constant use(24/7) the power supply will die in 6 months to 10 years regardless of use. its just the nature of the power supply. the bluetooth receiver was made by converting a scavenged bluetooth headset whos battery bought the far as they say. ripped the mic earbuds and battery off and wired in my long term power supply and a 4 wire jack. that my current wired headset plugs into. I even went so far as to wire a bypass on the headset so I could use it wired or wireless. the headset its self is more custom tailored to my preferences(the whole thing is mounted on a large dog collar with a throat mic and a pair of ancient Sony headphones)
the problem is I still require the wired portion to use all of my devices as not all my devices have bluetooth so it was more about bringing Bluetooth to a device that uses only a 4 wire jack.

For the sake of understanding I am trying to solve the host device issue imagine a smartphone without bluetooth but it has a 4 wire jack connect a bluetooth headset to this bluetoothless phone using said 4 wire jack. I am sorry it took so long to respond and I am sorry for the confusion. I am also starting to think this may actually be in the wrong section.

a little help getting started (wireless headset)Hide this!Advertise here!