Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Fast DC protection for HPamps.
Fast DC protection for HPamps.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2019, 03:06 PM   #41
stryx is offline stryx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

An ultimate amp protection circuit ?
Old 30th September 2019, 11:33 PM   #42
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
To summarize, from a purely thermal POV, 500mJ should generally be safe enough.
Mechanical effects would depend very much on the construction and are not easily predictable.
Electrically, the 2J were unable to affect it: it stayed at 30 ohm.

Mechanically even 1J is a massive amount to dump into something delicate, its the energy in dropping 1kg weight 4 inches, or 100g (small apple) a whole meter onto the target!

Of course the efficiency of the driver may be low and mitigate this (in other words the vast majority of energy may end up thermal, not mechanical).

The full Thiele-Small parameter set may be useful for estimating voicecoil velocities for a pulse input, perhaps?
Old 2nd October 2019, 02:08 AM   #43
RickTH is offline RickTH
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryx View Post
I'm surprised that I didn't find that thread when searching the forum for protection circuits. It's a good (long) read. ( I wonder why they banned Esperado ).

The ultimate protection IS comparing input and output . But I'm not that keen on some things in Esperado's circuit , and to implement it to a smaller HPamp .
The mosfets instead of a slower relay is a good way to get over the 5ms relay time , but I'm not that keen on using it . Even the fast output enable of an OPA1622 needs a relay to be 100 % sure .

I'm still going to pursue the InAmp idea , but it's going to be on the back burner . Since the output of any of the DC protectors is the same , I can build it as an extra little module that I can switch if it's not working well .

Fast DC protection for HPamps.Hide this!Advertise here!