Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Transformer for driving high impedance headphones from a low impedance source?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2019, 05:18 PM   #1
pixpop is offline pixpop  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer for driving high impedance headphones from a low impedance source?

After seeing a talk by Nelson Pass regarding the B1 buffer amp with a transformer on the output, I was wondering if it would be feasible to use a transformer to drive high impedance headphones such as 650s directly from a source that can't produce enough voltage, e.g. an iPhone.

E.g., something with about 32 Ohm primary, and 300 Ohm secondary.

Is that doable, and can anyone recommend a suitable transformer?
Old 30th July 2019, 08:52 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

High fidelity audio signal transformers are expensive and can add harmonic distortion. Notably third order distortion. Easy to make less expensive than special transformer, a simple headphone amp with a JFET and MOSFET that can drive 600ohm headphones beautifully.

Pocket version:
xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

Desktop version:
xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Plus you get a power boost. The problem with using only a transformer is that you are limited by conservation of energy through the transformer. An iPhone’s output is never going to be enough for truly satisfying headphone experience. A high impedance headphone requires higher voltage to actuate its voice coil. A transformer with higher voltage output has lower current inversely proportional to the voltage gain
Old 30th July 2019, 09:21 AM   #3
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
If the transformer's specified with impedances for its windings that likely will mean its a signal transformer and those will probably have too high winding resistance to work well in this application. You could try to make your own trafo for driving headphones - you'd need a large-ish ferrite core (perhaps PQ40 would do). I've built several smaller trafos for headphones but never tried building a step-up, they've all been step-down. Could be the leakage inductance would turn out too high for good frequency response but it'd be worth a stab.

Transformer for driving high impedance headphones from a low impedance source?Hide this!Advertise here!