Looking for advice on components for a DIYRE HC1 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've purchased this device to boost my Motu interface headphone output to a level that I can make music with over my K712's.

HC1 on DIYRE site: HC1 High Current Headphone Amp – DIY Recording Equipment

I'm having a hard time picking the components that are not included.

I've selected the following parts that are necessary for input: Could someone weigh in on whether I'm getting this right? Total noob here. I've built a summing mixer and 2 CAPI vp28 pres, and replaced some synth screens but I'm at a total loss for sourcing parts.

DC Power Port: DC Power Connectors Panel Mnt 2.1mm Bushing Solder
721A Switchcraft | Mouser

PSU: Wall Mount AC Adapters Wall Plug-In Pwr Supply, 12VDC@600mA, cULus, Center POS
WDU12-600 Triad Magnetics | Mouser

Audio Input: Phone Connectors 1/4" Vert TRS Jack Solder Lug
RJ3VM-S REAN / Neutrik | Mouser

Thank you for any assistance you can give a newb.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First point would be the supply...

12 volts isn't going to get you much voltage swing at the output... well that said its all relative and it depends how loud you want the 'phones to go but the board says it accepts up to 44 volts. You could always try it on a 9 volt battery and see how that performs. If its OK then 12 volts will easily cover it, if its marginal then try two batteries in series (18 volt) and see.

The input socket looks OK if that is the physical style you want. The data sheet shows it as a three terminal (stereo) part.

The power socket also seems OK at face value (2.1mm) although you could also just chop the plug off the adaptor and connect the wires direct. These things are never easy to gauge without having the bits in front of you. I thinking of the length and reach of the plug itself and whether that matches the socket exactly.

The K712 is rated at 62ohm, 105dB/1V (87dB/1mW) and 0.2W max continuous power, which puts the maximum rms voltage at 3.5Vrms, for 116dB output SPL. It really depends on the highest transient level as to whether 12V will be enough to prevent clipping.

Do you think I should up the voltage on the PSU? I built this unit last night, so I'm running it now without a case. It sounds good but I'm having a hard time being objective. I can build this stuff but I'm a total newb when it comes to numerical specs. What you wrote above is totally confusing for me, could you decode that bit fo rme a little? I'd appreciate it and sorry to ask!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.