Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Single ended class-A headphone amp using two transistors: T2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2019, 12:11 PM   #271
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Either will work fine. So will solid-core hookup wire, AWG 24 or 26 or 28. Use whichever you find easiest to hold in a stable position, while soldering to a pin on an RCA jack or to a pin on a potentiometer.

Old 20th September 2019, 04:17 PM   #272
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
People will hear differences all day long even where there are none, or misattribute an existing difference to a different cause. Our ears are not exactly precision measurement devices by a long shot.
Agreed. It's also worth noting that the output of the various synaptic circuits in the ear are quite far removed from the auditory stimulus that enters the ear. The neuronal output is not coherent in time relative to the auditory stimulus. In the end, our brain does most of the work piecing everything together. That stereo image that you hear is an auditory illusion.
The upshot here is that since the brain is a major part of our auditory experience, we can train our hearing. Harman has a program that you can go through: Harman How to Listen: Welcome to How to Listen!

Quote:
Anyone can waste their time however they want, but maybe they don't actually want to, you know?
Yeah... I'm a bit more of a build-it-and-be-done kinda guy myself.

Quote:
Swapping out coupling caps usually takes a few minutes and is not unlikely to involve bumping the volume pot.
True, but your auditory memory is only a few seconds long, so by the time you have swapped the cap, the memory of the previous signal is gone.

Quote:
If you want to make sure that the effect is real, here's what to do:
Make an amp that includes an extra 3-position (2p3t) selector switch, 3 sets of sockets for coupling caps, and have someone put in 3 sets of coupling caps of different values randomly, with said person noting down what's what but not showing it to you.
I dunno man... That sounds an awful lot like SCIENCE! Can't have that...

Quote:
Afterwards compare notes and calculate your hit rate. Pure chance = 50%. If you get 80-90%, yup, that's an audible difference. 56%... ehhhh, probably not - give it a few more tries perhaps.
Actually, if you end up in the latter situation, you conclude that there is no effect or difference. It's bad science to modify your experiment just because your data didn't support your hypothesis.

Tom

Old 20th September 2019, 05:28 PM   #273
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I dunno man... That sounds an awful lot like SCIENCE! Can't have that...
And really, where'd that be getting us? Like, on the moon or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Actually, if you end up in the latter situation, you conclude that there is no effect or difference. It's bad science to modify your experiment just because your data didn't support your hypothesis.
Bad wording always keeps coming back around and biting me in the rear end for some reason. What I meant was: If you have something like 10 tries and still can't see a clear trend, obtain more data to work with, and run the analysis again with previous and new data. When the calculations are done as quickly as in this example, I don't see anything wrong with that. (Maybe the calculations should be done by the second person and the results not revealed until enough data is collected. Even so, would someone really be listening differently if they knew they had a 56% hit rate?) The only thing decidedly wrong you could do is tossing the whole shebang in a corner if the result doesn't match your expectations. Politicians have a tendency of doing that at times, usually not to the best of results.

Old 21st September 2019, 11:54 AM   #274
adydula is offline adydula  United States
diyAudio Member

JamieMcC,

Have you completed your T2 yet? Please let us know how it works for you!!

All the best!
Alex

Old 21st September 2019, 03:52 PM   #275
JamieMcC is offline JamieMcC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Alex

Not far away just the wiring to do, finding time not easy at the mo work children, family commitments etc conspiring against me.

Hope to be up and running next week.

Saw this review of the T2 on the headfi site

DIY Audio T2 headphone amplifier review and measurements

Old 21st September 2019, 06:39 PM   #276
adydula is offline adydula  United States
diyAudio Member

HI, Jamie....

I read all that as well....my experience has been a very good one with the T2 here regardless of measurments. I do have some turn/off thump but being an experienced user I always make sure my stuff is turned on and off in a logical manner. That said I have had headphones plugged into into it and never had an issue damaging things.

In my 2 ch stereo system I have a Van Alstine amp and a seperate pre-amp and the assoicated downstream sources. I always make sure volume controls are down and turn on the pre-amp first, then the amp and on shut down turn off the amp then the preamp.

Lots of my other stuff has muting and turn on delay relays etc...I guess one could be added to the circuit rather easily if desired.

Alex

Old 21st September 2019, 11:30 PM   #277
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Measurements are not a good indication of your perception of sound.

Measurements are a fantastic tool, and absolutely, unquestionably have a place in audio design, that’s not at question.

There are plenty of things in audio that measure bad and sound great, just as there are plenty that sound great and measure poorly. I can’t explain it, and people have been grappling with the same question for many decades.

All I know is that in my opinion the T2 sounds much, much better than it measures. I’ll be damned if I know why.

Old 22nd September 2019, 01:43 AM   #278
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Measurements are not a good indication of your perception of sound.

There are plenty of things in audio that measure bad and sound great, just as there are plenty that sound great and measure poorly. I canít explain it, and people have been grappling with the same question for many decades.
Science disagrees with you on that. There's overwhelming evidence that listeners (trained, untrained, professionals, audiophiles) prefer equipment that measures well in blind tests. See Olive & Toole's work for examples.

Tom

Old 22nd September 2019, 02:12 AM   #279
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

But you forget that this isn’t science, it’s entertainment!

Nelson keeps saying that and he’s absolutely right.

Old 22nd September 2019, 02:16 AM   #280
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

It’s great to see how this thread has grown - nicely done
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Closed Thread

Single ended class-A headphone amp using two transistors: T2Hide this!Advertise here!