Balanced Headphone Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The below headphone amplifier was constructed using my current amp's two channels combined into a balanced class A amp.

This configuration simulated indicates odd harmonics to be dominant and monotonic and even harmonics to be much lower but constant in character.

The bandwidth is way into the MHz region and phase remains almost entirely at zero being unconditionally stable. Harmonics shown are for 100kHz fundamental just for interest.

This is my first experience of a class A amp that sound crisp as opposed to warm.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 466
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. The unit that I am fooling around with has decoupling caps and the offset is of no concern.

The attached was the schematic straight from MicroCAP10 schematic capture and models are from a reputable source. (there is a photo amp that I am trying the concept on).

I am specifically interested in the power density distribution of the odd order harmonic content compared to the even order. The flatness of both frequency and phase response is interesting.

Would you care to comment on why there is virtually no even harmonics, maybe you have some mathematical explanation that you may want to share in this regard.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 396
Sorry, I forgot to give my dues to Hugh Dean who was instrumental to the original single ended topology. It still is my everyday listening HP amp since it was conceived in 2008, but bringing two halves together in a differential arrangement changed the audio experience completely.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 370
I have changed the schematic to a balanced complementary symmetry topology and found that the distortion takes on a completely different characteristic. Anyway guys, this was just sharing an idea with you nothing noteworthy really. C18 should not be there. It was an afterthought only and the sim is without it.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Nico and XRK, and for the attribution for a very good but simple amp!
I think that whilst SE delivers prominent even order - lop-sided asymmetric on the waveform - a balanced format creates identical even order on each half, giving a top and trough asymmetrical distortion which is odd. For that reason, I prefer to hear this amp in SE rather than balanced.
Rather than cancelling even orders, a balanced situation (which requires a unipolar supply BTW) tends to duplicate the same distortion top and bottom so turns it into odd order.
The big advantage is always simplicity and low cost. I would think offset would not be an issue with good gain setting resistors, 2x33R, but this is important because many HP do not take kindly to DC.

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.