Is this CMOY amp good enough ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Try a SE Class A HPA rather an opamp. Many designs around, but my 2-transistor one is easy to build and sound quality is great - confirmed with several online reviews.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

It even fits in same mint tin as CMOY.

598314d1486711437-xrk971-pocket-class-headamp-gb-pocket-class-headamp-test-05.jpg

good enough? likely yes, depends mainly on your expectations

but if you want really good, try this one
Headphone amplifier /preamp board base on Lehmann Linear amp with ALPS pot 699985367033 | eBay
Thanks for the reply. I just want to use the NICEHCK EB2 earphone which is not that demanding. It needs to be decent sounding. Also, my DIY DAC with the Burson Classic V6 OPAMP is high in details. SO, the amp must not mask it. And yeah, I like slightly "bright" or a "neutral" sound.

BTW, ebay.com is not working in my country. Ebay Canada works though. So, is this the product you were talking about ? Assembled Headphone Amplifier Board base on Lehmann Linear amp with ALPS pot 699974689276 | eBay

Try a SE Class A HPA rather an opamp. Many designs around, but my 2-transistor one is easy to build and sound quality is great - confirmed with several online reviews.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB
Thanks for the recommendation ! I have read that review and I'm sure you have made a world beating product in a tight budget. I have some questions which I'll ask in that thread (GB thread).

Absolute Legend ! When I was just starting out the hifi journey sometime back, his CMOY amps were all the rage reg. DIY headphone amp.

Ouch !
That CMoy would have been very cheap and easy to build :p

Haha you can do better, as far as CMOYs go (unabashed plug for my Super CMOY headamp project follows). :D The ground in the schematic you have there is arguably in the "wrong" place. :) What you have there is a "virtual ground". With some more parts you can move the ground between the batteries to give you a "real" ground, as I've done with my Super CMOY project here:

Super CMOY

Take a look at the link I posted yesterday there to NwAvGuy's "virtual ground vs. real ground" article from years ago:

virtual grounds vs. real grounds

Read that and see what you think. :) Have fun!

ALSO - speaking of CMOYs - I just posted a link to PRR's post #4 above about Chu Moy possing away in the "in memoriam" forum here. First I heard the news, even though it was 3 years ago! So very sad. :( Chu Moy and his HeadWize site started all of this with headphones.

Last edited:
Sorry guys for not responding !

I'm busy for one more day and then I'll be free for sometime. And then the holy weeks takes over followed by Easter.
I'm hoping to make a decision in two days and then order the parts from mouser.

@xrk
Wow !
Thats a high praise indeed !

@ agdr
Cool !

Asked a question regarding your headphone amp in your thread.
Please take a look.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You may see a family resemblance between my Class A pocket amp and Agdr’s Super 1688 CMOY - the board footprint, 3.5mm jacks and volume pot are the same and Agdr was kind enough to provide me the Eagle file.

When I have trips where I need the battery to last 12hrs, the 1688 Super CMOY works nicely. Here it is driving my ZS6 quad driver (2 dynamic and 2 BA’s) earphones.

Here is my Pocket Class A:
il_570xN.1219256699_q6jk.jpg

And attachment below is Agdr’s that I built.

Attachments

• 6160EF59-A449-4B71-9817-078CA982A0AC.jpg
    6160EF59-A449-4B71-9817-078CA982A0AC.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 413
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.