Pete Millett SSII tube hybrid headphone amp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Lots of info here - Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier – diyAudio Store

3IIQbyfhNpGYBDgj.large

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That looks like a nice amp. Are there any performance specs like minimum headphone impedance, gain, bias current, output impedance, THD, SNR, etc?

I also have a hybrid tube headphone amp, but made by Massdrop in collaboration with Alex Cavalli - the Cavalii Tube Hybrid (CTH). I like it very much and it is quite clean sounding and very powerful. About the same price but you don’t get satisfaction of making it yourself. This kit is well priced given all the parts and case already all collected for the user to assemble. Nice job.

Nice and should be an easy build for a beginner.

The name doesn't quite fit anymore though (the original's budget was under 40$, intended to be built p2p in a recycled case). And I wonder about the use of the 18FX6. Adapting it to the very common/easily sourced 12AU7 would have been a good idea.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ease of build is very good - All the components, jacks, plugs, etc... connect to the PCB, there's no wires.

Generally I think the sound quality is fantastic! I've tried it with a few different headphones as well using it as a preamp, it sounds wonderful. Enough gain and drive for even hard-to-drive cans, and as a preamp the circuit is impressive, I personally am very impressed. A member was at my house a few weeks ago and had a chance to listen to the one in the photos of the guide, he was so taken with the sound he ordered one immediately upon release to the store.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks Jim! Looks like a fun build, hopefully I can snag one when they’re back in stock. Are there any issues with it being used as a preamp for the M2 or is it ok since the outputs are SS? I recal Mark mentioning an additional part needed if a tube preamp were to feed the M2.

Ease of build is very good - All the components, jacks, plugs, etc... connect to the PCB, there's no wires.

Generally I think the sound quality is fantastic! I've tried it with a few different headphones as well using it as a preamp, it sounds wonderful. Enough gain and drive for even hard-to-drive cans, and as a preamp the circuit is impressive, I personally am very impressed. A member was at my house a few weeks ago and had a chance to listen to the one in the photos of the guide, he was so taken with the sound he ordered one immediately upon release to the store.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks again Jim for the quick reply and info. Could you also give the approximate height of the unit with the tubes installed? I haven’t seen any dimensions listed. Also, which chassis does the unit use? It looks like one from the Galaxy line in the DiyStore.

Thanks!

It works wonderfully with the M2x, that’s the amp I used it with the most! :yes:

Seriously, you’ll love the combo.

If you are on the fence about pulling the trigger, just do it. This is great little kit and sounds fantastic. The versatility of the build is amazing. Sounds amazing with an ACA, and I bet it would bring new life to many other amps out there.

This is my third DiyAudio build, and it was a great experience. I did the stuffing of the PCP over two shorter sessions over days, then final assembly during a third build session. No issues at all with kit and build. Teamed with the ACA I built last summer it is the best sounding desktop/computer system I have ever heard.

57645891142__5002507D-7E92-4965-A06C-9B1D2F7F7522.jpg

Kudos to 6L6 for his advice and guidance. Thanks to Pete Millett for the design and for sharing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.