Good vintage headphones to look out fo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

Looking for solutions for vintage (cheap!) headphones that will be good choices to match with DIY class A amps I'm building to experience somewhere close to hifi nirvana. :).

Only pair I have so far is some Izumi CIS 330s and all I know about them is they are 8ohm, made in 1975 and the real leather is still lovely, very comfortable phones.

Last edited:
you can still find good planars relatively cheaply

I recently picked up a pair of Yamaha HP-1 in pristine condition for $100. The last pair of YH-2 I found were $40 shipped. People have found many planar/ortho type headphones in $5 bins at charity shops and garden sales. There is a huge thread on orthodynamics at the HeadFi forum. The pioneers are great, need a little loving but then so do most of the planars. Most of these will tolerate a little offset from a big powerhouse class A amp, if the amp has minimal offset ( <20mV) then looking at some of the old pro audio gear is well worth it. Sennheiser HD580/600 are still excellent , Beyerdynamic DT990/880 etc , many more to choose from. You can even pick up some of these new for < $200 (depends on your barr of "cheap")

..dB

Cheers guys, this is the sort of info I need. Sadly where I live there are no thrift stores so I'm limited to ebay.

These the phones I have collected so far, only the Izumis are vintage:

Izumi CIS-330 – 8 ohms

Phillips SHP2000 – 32 ohms

Behringer HPS3000 – 64 ohms

Sony MDR-XD100 – 70 ohms

Agree with MrSwingKing. There is a long thread on headfi on the 540 and some impressions there on the various revisions. I guess they do have differences but I can’t comment. Some people there are saying they’re the best headphone ever, which I wouldn’t say. I wouldn’t personally take all that talk on headfi too seriously. However, if mine died I would absolutely look to replace them.

I also replaced the original 30 year old pads on mine with protein leather ones from brainwavz and it changed the character quite a bit. Less of an airy sound and brought out the mid bass much more. Aftermarket original-ish pads are all over ebay fwiw.

The hd560 is also a good headphone, I own it, but like the 540 more. That’s just me though.

The AG K92s arrived today, they are like new. I opened them up and there is a loose red wire, I expect this is the cause of the fault.

But where do I re-solder this red wire to fix the issue?

Attachments

• AKG K92 Repair.jpg
    AKG K92 Repair.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 969
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.