Creating a custom lossless player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well sounds like a day dream to me .
My friend over local electronic shop wants to ask this question.
He is mad with new make in India stuffs around.
He has a Fio X1 but he want to create similar from scratch.
He is thinking to use Mediatek chipset and custom ROM to get his job done.
Anyone ever dealed with Mediatek.
I would prefer if you guys say me it is impossible
Hope he is not reading this lines.
Anyway cheaper Fio alternative in mass production doesn't sounds bad

I guess if you can get 2-3 guys to work on it (1 PCB, 1 mechanical, 1 software), it might actually get finished in this lifetime.

The problem is, even if you get some good hardware going, you still have to come up with some good firmware - and you better not start from scratch with that. Unsurprisingly, good hardware with dodgy firmware is anything but rare. I would therefore do it the other way round and aim to do hardware that can run Rockbox, which I know must have had a fair amount of man-hours put into it. Problem is, that means ARM architecture and at the very least 8 megs of RAM - a lot of the newer stuff is either MIPS or lacking the RAM.

The X1 has some decent enough hardware going but is reputed to be on the hissy side... I guess the lack of a PGA is letting it down. I'd probably go for an AK4376 or somesuch instead of a PCM5142.

I guess if you can get 2-3 guys to work on it (1 PCB, 1 mechanical, 1 software), it might actually get finished in this lifetime.

The problem is, even if you get some good hardware going, you still have to come up with some good firmware - and you better not start from scratch with that. Unsurprisingly, good hardware with dodgy firmware is anything but rare. I would therefore do it the other way round and aim to do hardware that can run Rockbox, which I know must have had a fair amount of man-hours put into it. Problem is, that means ARM architecture and at the very least 8 megs of RAM - a lot of the newer stuff is either MIPS or lacking the RAM.

The X1 has some decent enough hardware going but is reputed to be on the hissy side... I guess the lack of a PGA is letting it down. I'd probably go for an AK4376 or somesuch instead of a PCM5142.
Money is not a matter for him. He is one of the biggest business man in our locality.
I think a lowend arm based smartphone SOC will get the job done .
But neither Qualcomm (I don't expect them too) nor mediatek replied our emails.
Any one ever dealed with Mediatek?
Good Firmware + MT6739 + AK4376 + 4000MAH battery may be enough with 3inch 480p screen

Last edited:
Are you folks serious? A Raspberry Pi 3B+ alone draws 350 mA @ 5 V in idle and can reach almost an amp under load. These things are optimized for low cost, not minimum power draw.

The aforementioned FiiO X1 will run a nominal 11 hours on a 1700 mAh 3.7 V cell, which in itself isn't all that great to begin with, and a trusty Clip+ will run for about that time with a µSD card installed on a measly 280 mAh pouch cell (and, following some power management tweaks in Rockbox, up to 25 hours with just the internal memory). A Pi-based contraption would probably take 3 18650s to get there. Portable yes, pocketable no.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.