Parts to fix sony MRD SA3000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys anyone here would have clues on where i could find frame parts to fix my damn sony MDR-Sa3000
been fixing the frames for like 10 years and now can't take it anymore
(all bent and not comfy anymore )

The drivers work perfectly and i am not sure i would be satisfied with anything less ...so before speding something like 400$+ on heaphones
( or 200$ + deception )

i'd like to see if i can replace the frame or change for a completely different frame

Else suggest a reasonnable replacement ;p

thanks mates :)

Guys anyone here would have clues on where i could find frame parts to fix my damn sony MDR-Sa3000
been fixing the frames for like 10 years and now can't take it anymore
(all bent and not comfy anymore )

The drivers work perfectly and i am not sure i would be satisfied with anything less ...so before speding something like 400$+ on heaphones
( or 200$ + deception )

i'd like to see if i can replace the frame or change for a completely different frame

Else suggest a reasonnable replacement ;p

thanks mates :)
Mate those are more than excellent headphones... they were and still are ~USD700 headphones in performance. I honestly would say you would need to spend well over USD500-600 on a new set of replacement cans (headphones) to match their performance. I definitely would recommend that you stick with them and simply replace the headband and/or what ever part(s) that is(are) broken. It would be well worth your effort and time, as well as money spent on the part(s) plus shipping, handling, and import duty fees to fix these dynamite sounding cans!

Here is the Sony Service Manual for that line of cans... page 3 shows the exploded view of headband assembly for the SA1000 & SA3000 models. Most likely the part you are after is X20253451, HEADBAND ASSEMBLY, SONX20253451

Here are some original Sony Replacement Part re-seller links:

French Audio Parts Company Netram has the part currently available for EUR €76 (USD $87); very nice price!

U.S.A. Based Encompass shows the part currently out-of-stock but "in-stock" in ten (10) days. The part is USD 116.25

Well-known German Audio Parts reseller EET Europarts doesn't show your specific part but does have in-stock many other MDR-SA300 parts... EET doesn't fully list all their available parts so you need to email them and inquire on any/all desired part numbers required.

You might also consider buying a used/broken pair for under USD $200 to scavenge required parts from as well. This would/could offer additional parts needed at a later date.

Last edited:
OUCH!!!

I did say headband but looking at the diagram it would be one of the parts i should be able to reuse.

The problem now is that the hangers for each side and a few other tidbits
are completly crazy on prices ... i'm at 300$USD the only place i've found em for now.

I'll keep searching a bit, but not going to pay 300$USD to fix those headphones though.

The headband/swivel/hanging design is quite poor to be frank, and will easily get broken again if they fall on the ground or are handled too roughly.

Wonder if i could use something else or an assembly from another headphone.

Other option could be to get the DD880/990 Beyer or a smilarly cheap headphone.

And keep the SA3000 as a long term fixing project.

Either find a donor ( which i think will be hard since everybody seems to have same problem as me ..or they sell them for 1000$USD )

Or diy what i need to fix.

Where can i ask for help choosing right new headphone ?

looking for something in the 150~250$ price range

will be used on my computer solely ( driven by my diy rakk dac and diy heapphone amp )
but at some point i might get simpler setup and keep the dac/amp for the SA3000 if i fix them and make a dedicated music couch or something

Beyerdynamic DT880/990
AK AD-900
too many choices :p

i just bought DT990
i'll see how the sound his probably use this one on the computer for a long time
and fix up the SA-3000 later to use at a dedicated listening sofa/station/relaxin' time

The DT880 would've prob be way more similar to the SA-3000 than the 990 i guess ?

but maybe i'm due for a change :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.