*WHAMMY* Build thread 🤓

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello forumites 🤓 It has been quite a while since I last visited. Been a while since I have buildt anything. I made a New profile. I used to be MagnumOpus. I have moved since last and sold EVERYTHING I had bought or buildt besides my headphones. My dear B&W P7 Wireless.
I got by using a NAD Viso and BOSE Sountouch 220 for home theater. We had to compromise when we moved to a smaller student apartment. Enough Of that! I went out and bought an 8 yrs old Dual C455-1. It sports a Sumiko Black Pearl and a I also got with The deal an old Music Hall MM/MC phonostage. Paid a price that made me smile and this is what brought us here again. Many Of You have hjelped me before on my projects.
I have buildt a B1 buffer, Audio Sector chip amp, Hagerman Buglle 2, O2 and some cables. I am allways the neophyte and rely on your tips and tricks :)

Anyway, enough rambling.

The WHAMMY cought my attention when looking for an amp to go with an new DIY RIAA and headphones. And with previous builds in mind I decided to take my time, this time. Not rush anything and pay close attention to details. Clean and tidy.

I am going for the Mouser BOM provided by 6L6. I really like the Qualtek q300 power intet module so that I will Get from digikey. Partsconnexion has the transformer and the Chassis wil most likely be a Galaxxy. The Hammond 6L6 use is to tight inside. I need space to work 🤡

Currently I am hunting for parts and still have a few to source before I start soldering.

I am also using FPE for The front and back :) I am taking my rime so cost really is not an option. I like saving and sourcing for parts👌

If you have suggesrions for a nice oowdercoated black knob and a nice stepped attenuator, please Do share :)

Think I’ll even splurge on a Burson op amp 💪🤘

Here is my first picture :)

Attachments

• A5C972C2-4193-4E12-B03C-B1CEFE9298C9.jpg
    A5C972C2-4193-4E12-B03C-B1CEFE9298C9.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 1,088
Good luck Ken, it's a cracking amp for sure.

Get good diodes for the supply, best you can afford. For stepped it's got to be Goldpoint? ;)

I tried dedicated super regs for the op-amp and it worked well. Take the supply straight from the main rails.

Are the ones in the BOM not good enough? Which ones are better and Why?

Maybe I should get a mod to change it for me ..

The Khozmo is pretty sexy too :)

Sorry Ken, in answer to your question - better diodes are faster with better/softer recovery, they are therefore quieter leaving less transient noise downstream. The PSU has a snubber mind you so it is a nice supply.

Consider the sparkos labs op-amps if you fancy discrete op amp, make sure you get a dual channel version

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

Or, to be honest most of the NJR Muses op-amps are excellent. The 8920 Jfet was very good and the 01 and 02 are supposed to be excellent. It's a lot to consider, but grab a cheaper Muses or OPA type to get working with music then and a discrete for rolling. Jfet or bipolar input op amps both seem to work. Look for Brown Dog adaptors for the smd chips, you can't beat them for quality.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/NJR/Semico...iers/MUSES-Series/_/N-4gxtf?P=1yw726qZ1z0zl2e

https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/browndog-970601-so8-to-dip8-adapter

Good luck fella ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Ken, in answer to your question - better diodes are faster with better/softer recovery, they are therefore quieter leaving less transient noise downstream. The PSU has a snubber mind you so it is a nice supply.

Consider the sparkos labs op-amps if you fancy discrete op amp, make sure you get a dual channel version

Discrete Op Amps - SparkoS Labs Inc.

Or, to be honest most of the NJR Muses op-amps are excellent. The 8920 Jfet was very good and the 01 and 02 are supposed to be excellent. It's a lot to consider, but grab a cheaper Muses or OPA type to get working with music then and a discrete for rolling. Jfet or bipolar input op amps both seem to work. Look for Brown Dog adaptors for the smd chips, you can't beat them for quality.

NJR MUSES Series Audio Amplifiers | Mouser United Kingdom

SO8 to DIP8 Adapter | BrownDog 970601 | Cimarron Technology

Good luck fella ;)

Excellent feedback, Thank You.

Currently trying to find a PCB mount 25va 22+22. Looked at partsexpress, They have The antek, but its 15va only. Maybe I will opt for at chassis mounted toroid.

Too bad shipping from The states are crazy. Toroidy has supplied me before with Excellent custom stuff. Good prices. Good stuff :)

Excellent feedback, Thank You.

Currently trying to find a PCB mount 25va 22+22. Looked at partsexpress, They have The antek, but its 15va only. Maybe I will opt for at chassis mounted toroid.

Too bad shipping from The states are crazy. Toroidy has supplied me before with Excellent custom stuff. Good prices. Good stuff :)

No need do execute overkill just yet :) Got the TE6021 25va 22+22 on the way. 20 bucks for the xformer and just as much in shipping...jeesus, lets hope the God of Imports favours me this time, lest this be the most expencive amplifier in Trondheim :p

For Europe look at RS components or Banzai Music for PCB transformers.

22V is overkill and will give you over 30VDC rails which is much more than you need to dissipate. Save power and money guys ;) For 15V or 18VDC rails choose a similar voltage secondary.. remember to multiply the AC secondary value by 1.41 to obtain the DC output after the rectifier.

These are the ones you want, :

Talema PT25215 :: Talema Transformers :: Transformers :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH

Talema PT25218 :: Talema Transformers :: Transformers :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH

Last edited:
Starter stuffing The pcb only to find out I had forgotten a couple of things. 10k and 5.1k resistors, dip socket for The opamp and wire.

In a sudden attack of stagefright I could not remember which way to soloer D5 & D6. I put Them in longest leg towards The flat end. ITS allways positive thats marked, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.