Opinions on AKG K240 Studio headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I need an opinion for the AKG 240 Sudio headphones:
- K240 STUDIO | Professional studio headphones

I guess the sound is going to be pretty decent.
Looking for monitoring headhones at this price range.

I wanted to go for the cheaper AKG K 52:
- K52 | Closed-back headphones
but I read a lot of complains that they're fragile and do not last more than a few months.
I guess the same issues go for K72 and K92 (the same construction).

The headphones will be used a lot for monitoring through mixing console/processor, while playing bass and guitar.
So, durability and long lasting is an issue.
I know they're semiopen and it might cause issues when recording with microphone, but should be ok in my case.

Eventhough it is for home use - the headphones might be incidentally pulled by the cable (240 studio have a detachable cable) and dropped on the floor.

What is the general build quality? Are they durable?
What about the fake leather pads and head band?
Are they going to chip and peel?

What better can I get at this price range?
This is the store we use in europe:
- AKG K-240 Studio – Thomann UK
(just for reference, i do not intend to advertise)

//Sorry if I post in a wrong section, could not see dedicated headphones section.

Last edited:
K240S' are proven workhorse cans. At what they cost right now, they're pretty much a no-brainer. One would hope that manufacturing in China has not impacted durability negatively too much, but I mean, the Superlux cans cost half as much or less and are pretty solid, too (crappy earpads aside). If in doubt, the used market may provide an older Austrian-made sample.

AKG's pleather pads have a reputation of getting hard over the years when exposed to sweat. No real biggie, replacement pads are cheap enough (a bit fiddly to replace though - a hairdryer may come in handy), and you can also get the velour pads from the hi-fi version for not much more.

These cans enjoy a reputation for getting boomy unless output impedance is low (preferably below 10 ohms or so). In your application this may not matter much though.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The '240 is certainly worth seventy bucks. I used mine for many years and many many concert recordings. They hold up. They don't lie to you. While I am sure some details have changed since the 1990s, AKG knows not to disappoint their customers.

To me AKG headphones are closest to speakers in sound presentation. That’s why I like them. The drivers are farther from your ears than most headphones, which makes the soundstage more speaker like.

Other headphones brands will have more detail, slam, etc. but if you are used to speakers the akg k series will sound right. That’s my experience, plus I think they are some of the most comfortable.

I use 272 (closed back) at work and 7XX at home.

Hi whitzmusic,

I wouldn't recommend getting the K240's if your primary use case is going to be monitoring. As they're open back, they're great for mixing, but not so much for monitoring.

I second that. In 2005 I bought the K240 600 Ohms variant for mixing and I am still using them for that purpose. 14 years of trusty service by now. Probably my ears degenerated more than these cans over that timespan :eek: ;-)

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.