6922 hybrid headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to share this small project that come up from left over parts from other project, specifically I thought to get a good RIAA pre-amp using 6922 tube but has been a failure,
some more expert people in this website already told me to do not do it, I am been stubborn
and I was wrong so I thought what can I do instead? What I really want to have is a good tube headphone amp so I look many project but some are really too expensive so I find online an hybrid small project using a simple 12v power supply using the 12au7 valve, that I have, try it
but really did not satisfied my ears, so I simply swap the 12au7 with the 6922 and wow immediately sound was much better but a lots of distortion and clipping, I do not have oscilloscope, signal generator etc. so I simply connect to the anode and cathode two potentiometer and just try to bias the 6922 with just 12v power supply, the result is stunning, I cannot even believe myself that a one stage triode plus a conventional MOSFET can achieve this result. What I did is use just one triode of two different 6922 for have a good separation, separation already little compromise by the common power supply then other important thing I noticed is to use a very good quality cap for the input signal, suggested value 3,3 uF. I personally love the clarity cap CSA series for all my project, reasonable price and outstanding performance, then you can use basically any MOSFET, I try the IRF series also the BUZ series, but I used in my project the P16NE06 just because I have two of them, but as I said I try the other ones and the sound quality is unchanged. As a power supply you can use any stabilised 12v, 2A, I am using in my project an old 12 power supply from an old cctv system, I just change all the cap and that’s it work perfectly. Here the schematic of this project, if anybody want to give suggestion on how improve it or any other suggestion I will be very happy..:)

Attachments

• IMG_3258.JPG
    IMG_3258.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_3267 copy.jpg
    IMG_3267 copy.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
What do you have to say about STP16NE06 ?
Is this a good MOSFET TO-220 and is there anything special about it?
Can IRF610 be just as good?

I like your project.
TUBES are as made for things like headphone amplifiers.
And with the addition of a MOSFET it looks very good.
Bet it sounds great :)

Is the cathode load resistor on the 6922 really 12k (12,000) ohms? Is there any voltage at all between plate and cathode on that 6922? Can you measure voltages and write them on the schematic, and post the updated schematic with voltages?
yes cathode load resistor is 12k, I measure on cathode 0.50 volt and anode 10.50 volt, I guess the tube set like this is gaining a very little due to the very low voltage but just enough for drive the MOSFET, I just made some other test and realise that if the power supply is increased of 2 volt so 14 volt adding a 3.3 ohm 5 watt resistor to the heather line there is a significant improvement on the volume and the previous small distortion at the max volume disappear, I will post later a schematic with all voltages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.