Tube/Mosfet Lineamp Repurposed for Headphone Duty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In this thread I show a husky lineamp stage built around trioded 6P1P-EV tubes with solid state help. I have moved on since to a line amp that's not quite so monstrous. The purple beast is shown in this thread, starting with post #19.

Tube Integrated Amp

My plan is to take this line stage and use a pair of smallish toroidal power transformers to step down the outputs and drive a pair of headphones. I'll be stringing the thing together today, and will attempt to audition it with bench supplies tomorrow - wish me luck.

Last edited:
Here's the transformer - lineamp lashup ready for auditioning.

Attachments

• Img_1546.jpg
    Img_1546.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 203
Got sounds, this unit needs output transformers with hotter turns ratio. I'm currently using 230 to 15V transformers, would like to replace those with 230 to 22V. I may also configure the basic amp for more gain to make it easier to drive. I was using AKG240 Studio headphones to test, which admittedly aren't the most sensitive cans in the world...

This one was a low-hanging fruit, as the board was already built up. I next want to try a pair of toroids I have at home that have dual primaries and dual 12V secondaries. I'll configure the transformers for 230V primary and series the secondaries for 24V output. This will give me a ~4500 ohm primary impedance for a 50 ohm output load. I also may want to try some of the cheap parafeed transformers from Edcor, which may be better suited for audio.

I also want to try some of the dual dissimilar triodes designed for vertical deflection service - cheap and mostly overlooked .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.