Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Tube/Mosfet Lineamp Repurposed for Headphone Duty
Tube/Mosfet Lineamp Repurposed for Headphone Duty
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2018, 06:28 PM   #1
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube/Mosfet Lineamp Repurposed for Headphone Duty

In this thread I show a husky lineamp stage built around trioded 6P1P-EV tubes with solid state help. I have moved on since to a line amp that's not quite so monstrous. The purple beast is shown in this thread, starting with post #19.

Tube Integrated Amp

My plan is to take this line stage and use a pair of smallish toroidal power transformers to step down the outputs and drive a pair of headphones. I'll be stringing the thing together today, and will attempt to audition it with bench supplies tomorrow - wish me luck.

Last edited by wrenchone; 10th October 2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10th October 2018, 10:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the transformer - lineamp lashup ready for auditioning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_1546.jpg (215.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 12th October 2018, 01:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Got sounds, this unit needs output transformers with hotter turns ratio. I'm currently using 230 to 15V transformers, would like to replace those with 230 to 22V. I may also configure the basic amp for more gain to make it easier to drive. I was using AKG240 Studio headphones to test, which admittedly aren't the most sensitive cans in the world...
Old 12th October 2018, 11:08 AM   #4
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Tubes are very interesting to use as headphone amplifiers.
I would guess, but do not know, that the sound will be very nice from tube HP-amp.

Hope this thread gets many viewers
And builders.
Old 12th October 2018, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This one was a low-hanging fruit, as the board was already built up. I next want to try a pair of toroids I have at home that have dual primaries and dual 12V secondaries. I'll configure the transformers for 230V primary and series the secondaries for 24V output. This will give me a ~4500 ohm primary impedance for a 50 ohm output load. I also may want to try some of the cheap parafeed transformers from Edcor, which may be better suited for audio.

I also want to try some of the dual dissimilar triodes designed for vertical deflection service - cheap and mostly overlooked .
Old 12th October 2018, 07:19 PM   #6
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The little parafeed from edcor are pretty nice, I use them in a ccs loaded 6e5p amp and they really aren't too bad. Cheap in the US too.

Nice project btw

Tube/Mosfet Lineamp Repurposed for Headphone DutyHide this!Advertise here!