• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

the TRUE digital one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The HE-400i has a peak at around 8khz, and when I was listening to a track with a cowbell or triangle it was very "hot" and would be fatiguing. Other tracks with different programme would be fine. And some people may not even be bothered.

I agree about planars, when I heard the HE-400i, my first experience of a planar, I thought "this is what I've been looking for".

The bass response can be incredible too, I think this may be part of the reason they sound like they do. The bass of a planar compared to a dynamic is like listening to a bookshelf speaker in a poor room, compared to a full range sealed bass speaker in treated room.

I've found freq.responses for he400i and he560(innerfidelity), and I see just +3db bump on 400i vs 560. See attached 400i vs 560 difference plot. Actually, it is pretty easy to adjust 7pcs parametric EQs of TAS5558 IC to fit one headphone freq.responce to another one. I trying to write Matlab code for automatical biquads setup for such compensation ;) Apparently, 400i to 560 compensation would not be too interesting because the difference is not as big as vs HD800S or LCD2.

Attachments

• 400i_vs_560.png
    400i_vs_560.png
    96 KB · Views: 315
For sure I was over generalising with my comments on dynamics. It's the low distortion of planars in the bass that's perhaps even more impressive than the extension.

The PEQ of the TAS5558 is very useful to have available - this is a Swiss Army knife HPA :) - perhaps Matlab is for the "power user" though...

Thanks for the offer. :) The thought of response correction to flat is interesting.

There is a lot of potential here to offer EQs for headphones - Sonarworks have a software product that does just that: flat response for popular headphones.

Here's a hardware project equivalent: Kameleon | DIY-Audio-Heaven

The other possibility is to offer tone control kind of curves i.e. loudness, slope down, presence etc.

Lots of options.

That would be an excellent result. There are many HPAs being sold with higher output impedance than 1.6ohms.

The low output impedance of 1.6ohms means that True Digital One should be fine to try with my reference IEMs - Etymotic ER4SR. They have separate removable MMCX connectors so I will be able to get some cables that terminate in 3.5mm jacks.

The first sample is assembled and tested! No even single mistake, just soldered and turned on ;) Due to solid polymer caps 1000uFx5pcs dramatically reduced the THD+N at 0dbfs level, for now, it is as low as .012%@1kHz. THD+N = .00* at -1.5db and lower, up to -20db where is noise dominate. Left channel S/N the same -94db, right one improved for 3db(-97db), no idea why, will not surprise if battery powered laptop's USB will probably improve S/N again.
WeChat-Image_20180908142203.jpg

badboygolf16v, I checked out the Kamelion link HE 400i | DIY-Audio-Heaven and found that his measurement very far from mine. He said "measurements are made with a good seal on a flatbed measurement rig", and I did the same measurement, however, my plot has no any 8kHz peak. Please see attached. the green plot is he400i(yellow is my old Sennh, I even don't remember the model #). BTW, that measurement method is too rough to consider it seriously, innerfidelity's plots mad with artificial ear-head and results more practical to me. Yesterday I tried to equalize the green plot into yellow one with 7 parametric EQs and Matlab, the result was sounding really awful on my 400i, and not similar to my old Sennh at all.

Attachments

• 2017-11-15_09-19-45.png
    2017-11-15_09-19-45.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for the amp measurements, looking good.

From what I've read, headphone measurement can be an interesting task due to physiological differences. Tyll who used to run Innerfidelity wrote about it on occasion, it's an art and a science, that requires a good understanding of the measurement setup in order to properly interpret the results. I have zero experience in the area, I'm just an interested hobbyist.

I wonder if Hifiman's famous "QC" has removed the peak on your set of HE400i? :)

For me the HE-560 I will be using have a frequency response that is OK for me, so I will probably be OK without EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.