• 300 Ohm

Votes: 57 37.5%
  • 600 Ohm

Votes: 24 15.8%

• Total voters
Electrostatic headset

SR-L300 | Products | STAX International
SR-007 MKⅡ | Products | STAX International
actually new ones, (a voltage hungry appliances 100vrms/100db).

it would be more interesting voting to see, what kind of headphone tech people have. orthos-dynamics-estats-hybrids...:santa2:
An electrostatic headset is purely capacitive which can be driven by specially designed tube amp or through transformers only. It is misleading to compare the capacitive impedance to dynamic headset. I listed my Superex PDP-79E electrostatic as 8 ohms impedance of its drive console which is connected to a power amp. I am sure the STAX you listed require a console for connection to an amplifier too.

I have some old Sennheiser 414 headphones that are 2k ohms, kind of bright sounding.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/r...als/Sennheiser Open-Aire HD-414 Headphone.pdf
I have the Sennheiser HD-420 which is from the same series as the HD-414, but an open back, on the ear design with 600 ohms impedance.
sennheiser_HD420_06.jpg
The HD414 and HD420 both have the gradual roll-off in frequency response above 10KHz. They were considered the most natural sound Sennheiser in the 1980's. The HD414 has a small (3dB) bump around 2-4KHz, which is not there in the HD420.

These are very good sounding phones in their era, but lack the dynamic range and fast transient of more modern Sennheiser design, like the 600 series.

Last edited:
Most, if not all headphones will be impedance matched to any headphone output jack.

If it's quality you're after, then you'll need to rephrase your question.
Do you have a tube headphone amplifier with output transformers? What is your definition of impedance matching?

The majority of high end headphone amp are solid state with low output impedance to assure good damping factor for a wide range of headphones.

and there are people which use tube amps followers.
this is not matched nor low z out. actually a heavier coils headphones this may give some extra bass.
I am not sure what you mean by "some extra bass"? If it is the boomy, artificial bass boost like the Beats by Dr. Dre or the Bose headphone, it is unnatural and sounds terrible.

I prefer bass that is tight and well controlled which means low output impedance and high damping factor for dynamic headphones.

I am not sure what you mean by "some extra bass"? If it is the boomy, artificial bass boost like the Beats by Dr. Dre or the Bose headphone, it is unnatural and sounds terrible.

I prefer bass that is tight and well controlled which means low output impedance and high damping factor for dynamic headphones.

dt990 250 + tube follie it did something to bass. it was not very boomy. quite ok.

anyway, after stax-anything else is just rubbish. :)

32ohmer here. If we take away the amplifying system from equation and assume that there are two HP drivers with same construction of diaphragm, same strength magnet, and dimensions that are as close as possible, what benefits do higher impedance driver would have?

I am very curious if the properties of coil can be described as superior in any way. I am sure that those with great memory and knowledge can spot some differences. Myself can only see benefit if the other properties of driver are near perfect, but I am not too keen on physics, so I might be wrong afterall. I might be imagining that higher impedance headphones with everything well designed could do more of flux variations , but I am not sure.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If below a few Ohms, low-loss lead-ins will be too fat and stiff. If too high, insulating varnish must be thin and historically these designs suffer corrosion.

In between, you like to pick a number of turns which will go an even number of layers, so the far end of the winding does not have to come back through the gap.