Cmoy pcb too big

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built the Cmoy (var. Gwado) headphone amp:

but decided it was way too big so built another one :D:

The first one now contains an OPA2134, the smaller one will have a LM4562.

I finished the 'big' version, sounds wonderful!

Regards,

Cor

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work looks like a fun project! If you ever want more power, try a parallel OP1688 and use two 9v in true dual rail supply. Cap couple output and then you don’t worry about DC outburst in case a battery clip fails.

More here including home etch artwork for PCB.
Cheap as Chips OPA1688 Low-THD Muscle Amp

691261d1531291477-op-amp-cmoy-amp-opa1366-build-completed-top-jpg

691262d1531291477-op-amp-cmoy-amp-opa1366-build-completed-bottom-jpg

realized that above photo was not the dual parallel one
Yes, I already was searching for the other opamps haha.

The 'Pocket Class A Headamp GB' intrigues me but the BF862 seems a bit 'exotic'.
Suppose nearly the same quality is possible with common through-hole components and the circuit would keep its 'simplicity'. Wouldn't it get the same status as the Cmoy amplifier being build by hundreds or more?
A possible title for a new thread would be: 'the simplest headphone amplifiers using discrete components' or something like that.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There is indeed a through hole version called the DCA. The BF862 is a very nice low noise JFET originally designed for mass production use in things like FM/AM radios. It’s at EOL, so harder to find. I have new simulations for a replacement 2SK209 that’s easier to find. You can also use the “exotic” unobtainium 2SK170 - or recent LSK170. New resistor setpoints have been calculated for all 3 JFETs.

DCA is here:
xrk971 Desktop Class A (DCA) Headphone Amp

Has built in cap Mx PSU with CRCRC.

Wouldn't it get the same status as the Cmoy amplifier being build by hundreds or more?

There are probably over 200 of the PCA amps out in the wild.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.