Simple High Performing Headphone Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Testing it around the house with a portable setup. Found out that a 10VA trafo works fine to supply the power (estimated 7w). The PSU is a simple bridge and four 10mF caps in CRC followed by 7815/7915 regulators. This amp works really well with power hungry HE400i’s. Sounds very good and very neutral with excellent detail.

Attachments

• AA868F34-8351-40CB-B505-AD0FF4F45195.jpg
    AA868F34-8351-40CB-B505-AD0FF4F45195.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 542
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
40mF in a headphone amp supply?
Tsk tsk tsk... You will have thin and tubby bass then. Four 22mF would be better, but still not quite enough!

It’s a pure Class A amp: all the current it needs is flowing continuously and equal to 2x the quiescent bias current or 2x115mA=230mA. In Class AB, dynamic loads need large capacitances but even there, 9600uF x 4 is enough for a 50w amp. In Pure Class A, the capacitor size is strictly for ripple smoothing in the CRC so bass authority has nothing to do with it. Having a larger reservoir cap right at the MOSFET will give better stereo separation and some enhanced bass for very deep excursions, but the 40mF vs 80mF behind the voltage regulators won’t really have an effect on bass authority. Btw, 80mF is what is used on a full size 25w Class A speaker amplifier.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
JPS64 and I are working on an integrated DC-DC step up to dual rail PSU followed by TI ultralow noise LDO regulators, and then followed by some more filtering for an integrated stereo amp and PSU solution on one PCB. Will only require 5.5mm barrel jack 8vdc to 24vdc input (of sufficient power capability for the bias being used). Typically 1.5amps at 12v for 125mA bias and +/-15vrails.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Could this be a good preamp as well?

Certainly yes, with the ability to drive ANY impedance (even 8ohms) and low distortion, and what distortion there is when driven hard, is all second harmonic and monotonically descending higher orders 3rd and 4th...

It's also very good as preamp from standpoint of JFETs on input stage, so very low currents flow and pot makes no noises when adjusting volume.

As a DC-coupled amp, it is brutally revealing. Make sure your source has no DC or you might want an AC-coupled 4.7uF filmcap input coupler (toggle switch in/out).

I would imagine this amp driving a 10kohm load is a walk in the park.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, J3 and J4 need to be matched and J5 and J6 can be another type of JFET of similar Idss. Changing to BJT will require additional components I think and I have not tested it that way. You are welcome to try and mod it or suggest a BJT. However, the BF862 is so cheap that it doesn’t make any sense to.

Btw, measurements of the DC-DC PSU shows that it really does resemble a battery in low noise performance.

688827d1529986528-simple-performance-dc-coupled-class-hpa-sub-ppm-thd-tims-hps-dc-dc-psu-142ma-1-02vpp-47r-fft-2-png

Last edited: