Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

How to power two channels with batteries?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2018, 03:29 AM   #1
periclimenes is offline periclimenes
diyAudio Member

Default How to power two channels with batteries?

Hello,

I'm trying to build the circuit shown here
Click the image to open in full size.
to be powered with a 9-volt battery. I want to build this in stereo, so I'm wondering what is the best way to power two channels. Do I have two independent channels? Two batteries wired together to make 18V and the channels jumpered together? 1 9-volt to jumpered channels? +9V into one channel and -9V into the other?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10th April 2018, 08:54 AM   #2
vsmusic is offline vsmusic  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

In this scheme, for each channel it is necessary to use a separate battery . 2 channel - 2 battery . Just make 2 identical circuits , as shown in the photo

This scheme was used in the serial device Marcof - there were 2 channels with two separate batteries . Marcof Electronics Custom Electronics - - Product Brochure - Vinyl Engine
Old 10th April 2018, 03:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your help. Is there a reason why it's not a good idea to run both circuits in parallel off of 1 9-volt battery (other than the battery life)?
Old 10th April 2018, 03:23 PM   #4
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

The output signal is imposed as a common-mode signal on the battery terminals with respect to circuit ground. IOW, the battery terminals carry your output signal. Hence they must remain floating.
Old 10th April 2018, 03:28 PM   #5
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the battery is 'floating' relative to ground and has the signal connected to it. If you try to power two of these circuits from the same battery, the signals will be connected and each output will be mono, having both input signals.
Old 11th April 2018, 12:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That makes sense. Thank you for explaining that on a basic level for me!
Old 11th April 2018, 07:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Question about ground vs. chassis ground

Hello. I'm trying to make a board for this circuit. The board will be placed into a metal enclosure and use RCA connectors. Since the RCA input ground terminal will be in contact with the metal chassis of the enclosure, I think I'll need to connect the RCA in/chassis ground/circuit ground like this:
Is that correct?

For the output, is there any point in connecting an additional wire from the RCA ground terminal to the circuit ground on the board, as shown? If so, will it mess things up that there's another chassis ground point on the other side of the circuit? Do I need to insulate the RCA out ground from the chassis?

As I design the board, are there components that should not be close to one another? My first guess is that, since it's all DC, the placement of the circuit elements isn't as critical, and I can pack them all pretty close to one another.

I'd appreciate hearing your perspective on how I should populate the board.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by periclimenes; 11th April 2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

On your circuit there are errors . C1 is not connected properly - make as in the original scheme . For the transistor 4401 is equivalent to the pair is the transistor 4403 . Apply the layout of elements in the product Marcof ( download the brochure on my link ) - it's got pictures inside . It was a serial product .
Old 11th April 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you for helping me. I changed the schematic so C1 is as in the original scheme. Does this look better?

If this is correct, I don't understand the difference between circuit ground and chassis ground. Is it okay that they are the same? Or do I need to insulate the ground tabs on the connectors from the chassis?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmusic View Post
For the transistor 4401 is equivalent to the pair is the transistor 4403 .
Can you please explain?
Old 11th April 2018, 04:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The transistor 4403 is a complementary pair of transistor 4401 . They have the same electrical parameters . Using another transistor may impair the symmetry of the modes of operation of the circuit . This may affect the sound quality .In the original Marshall Leach scheme is applied to the transistor 4401 and 4403 .......The scheme - now everything is correct . Also it would be correct to connect the ground of the input connector to the metal chassis of your device without capacitor C1 .It will work ....

Last edited by vsmusic; 11th April 2018 at 04:31 PM.

How to power two channels with batteries?Hide this!Advertise here!