The REAL John Linsley Hood Headphone Amplifier

We would like to add a few more sentences to explain our motivations for changing the original circuit.
(Yes, we have a team who work together on these builds.)
That's all on this particular topic.

Cheers,
Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I can understand where Bigun is coming from but I must say that your initial comments at the start of the thread made it quite clear that you were 1. providing, for free, the gerbers plus 2. your rational behind the changes to the circuit

...and that it was possible to build either version...either the REAL JHL design or your updated one.

I can not see any issue.
I am really looking forward to future posts and thanks again for your efforts.

As promised the article on the Linsley Hood 1985 Headphone Amplifier.
The Bill of Material is based on the 4 prototypes we built.
It may be subjected to further changes after Beta testing.

As mentioned, we shall publish Gerber files of a public version of the PCB after Beta testing as a tribute to the late Mr. Linsley Hood.
You can then order PCBs yourself.

In the meantime happy reading,
Patrick

Thank you!

> whether it is possible to have single power supply amp with this symmetrical topology

I admit I do not understand why single supply is important, as it hardly safes you any cost.

But in theory you can do a couple of thing to create a dual supply from a single one.
1. Virtual Ground from a single 30V supply
Virtual Ground Circuits
2. Use something like the Jan Didden Silent Switcher to create dual supply from single using a SMPS chip, followed by linear regulators.

For the latter, make sure the chip is capable for the power requirements.
And for me, these are more complicated solutions than a dual supply, with no benefits.

Patrick

Many Thanks for the replies. I have the original JLH amp with me.(1969)
My interest at present is to know whether it is possible to have single power supply amp with this symmetrical topology !(with its advantages and disadvantages)

Symmetrical amps cannot be operated on a single supply I mean you could, with a virtual ground but virtual ground requires a super beefy opamp and at these operating currents it is very much out of the question. Or you'll get a lot of asymmetrical distortion.
Trying to use a single supply or turning a single supply into dual supply is more trouble than it's worth