Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

One good set of headphones?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2018, 08:32 PM   #1
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Default One good set of headphones?

Iíve moved house recently and now have neighbours (unfortunately) so have to reconsider my listenening habits. I donít actually play music very loudly generally but occasionally it is nice to do so, but with new neighbours the volume I listen too has to be reduced.
So Iím looking to buy (for the first time) a decent pair of headphones that will replace listening to speakers for those louder listening sessions.
I have looked and read many reviews but because of my location it will be practically impossible to go and audition any at all. Iíll therefore have to buy on spec. which is a little bewildering considering the vast choice available. The headphones will be for home use only with a head amp and maybe via an ipad.
I think Iíd prefer Ďopen backedí and an Ďaround earí design as Iíd like to keep my ears free from pressure. Iím not bothered about them being Ďwirelessí.
Price wise will depend on whether I go second hand or new so maybe £200.00 new as a rough idea.

Iíve read good things about Sennheiser Momentum and other Sennheisers, Philips Fidelio X2 and numerous others on ĎHeadfií but can I ask, if I were to buy one pair of headphones that fit my criteria, what would they be, and what amp? I like the reviews and facilities offered by the ĎiCANí amp. Thoughts on this?

Music wise..........bit of everything but they must do justice to Yello and Boris Blank production techniques. 😎

Cheers
Old 19th March 2018, 10:03 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

They are starting to go out of production, but I have several headphones and like the sound of my less expensive Status Audio OB-1’s best. The fit is very comfortable and the bass is excellent. Overal balance presentation is more laid back and not fatiguing. They only cost $60 new although prices are rising. I have DT-880-250, HE-400i, Sony MDR-V6, and lots of IEMs. You need an amp. Lots of choices but I am biased towards SE Class A amps. If anywhere you should use Class A, it is with headphones.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:02 PM   #3
DreadPirate is offline DreadPirate  United States
diyAudio Member

Be sure to purchase a set of headphones you can try on. Most "over ear" type nowadays are not true over ear, they sit on part of it and cause discomfort, some rather quickly. I have an older Sennheiser HD570 that is fabulously comfortable, oversized cups with a cloth covering, the comfort is worth any price. I'm not sure what would be the equivalent model nowadays, but you really can't go wrong with Sennheiser. Also, there are "open" and "closed" back headphones, the open ones bleed sound, but are considered to generally sound better. Closed phones are to not disturb someone sitting next to you.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:24 PM   #4
dabore84 is offline dabore84  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

HE400i used, best price/quality.
Old 20th March 2018, 06:46 AM   #5
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input......
I’ll not be able to try on any headphones easily as I’m in rural Northumberland, so quite away from anywhere that sells headphones. Frustrating really but I could waste a lot of time money and fuel traveling around just trying them out. Might be in London for a city break in the near future however.
The HiFI Man H400i look interesting with some great reviews comparing them to Sennheiser HD6** and Oppo PM1’s . With the right amp the H400i might be ideal. Around £200.00 on eBay at the moment!
Any thoughts on the iCAN headphone amp? I’d like to try the cross-feed facility and the bass boost. Or is it better to go for Class A (SE) as has been suggested?
Old 20th March 2018, 07:24 AM   #6
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
For a first pair of headphones, you can't really go wrong with Superlux HD668B. I've only just recently outgrown mine, having developed a much more transparent DAC and amp. They're on Amazon at UKP35 but a bit cheaper on Taobao.

Superlux HD668B Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Old 20th March 2018, 10:06 AM   #7
thuanth43 is offline thuanth43  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Personally I've never enjoyed closed back headphones, even with the higher ended ones like Denon D7000, JVC DX1000, ATH W5000. Last time I tried the over-hyped Sennheiser Momentum 2, and my god, they sucked big time! All of them have the same 'echo' sound of closed earcups. Seems to me I'm always a opened back lover.

Just don't believe in anything from HF. They are a bunch of hype lovers. The site quality went down dramatically many years recently, especially when the admin guy switched to Huddler to squeeze more cash.
Old 20th March 2018, 11:38 AM   #8
dabore84 is offline dabore84  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
Thanks for the input......
Iíll not be able to try on any headphones easily as Iím in rural Northumberland, so quite away from anywhere that sells headphones. Frustrating really but I could waste a lot of time money and fuel traveling around just trying them out. Might be in London for a city break in the near future however.
The HiFI Man H400i look interesting with some great reviews comparing them to Sennheiser HD6** and Oppo PM1ís . With the right amp the H400i might be ideal. Around £200.00 on eBay at the moment!
Any thoughts on the iCAN headphone amp? Iíd like to try the cross-feed facility and the bass boost. Or is it better to go for Class A (SE) as has been suggested?
They are very easy to drive with my portable xDuoo X3. That was also one of the strong points. The bad thing is that you need a better cable, oem cable is pretty ****, too stiff and the cable is prone to cracking at the connector.
Old 20th March 2018, 03:20 PM   #9
CHiroshi is offline CHiroshi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Beyerdynamics DT770, DT880 and DT990 really have outstanding tonal balance and quality. Really neutral, and also a pleasure to wear. They also fit your description of "open backed" and "around ear"!

I own a pair of DT770, which are the cheapest of the trio, at an amazing quality/price ratio. I would really recommend those. They also come in different impedances, so if you'll mostly listen through a good headamp you should ideally go for the 250 ohms version, but there is also an 80 ohms version.

I think the ipad should be perfectly able to drive the 250 ohms version. My phone, a Sony Xperia XA1, is perfectly capable to drive them to decently loud levels.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck!
Old 20th March 2018, 03:42 PM   #10
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

DT770 are closed back. I do agree they sound good but they are too tight for my head and I can only use them for short periods. YMMV

One good set of headphones?Hide this!Advertise here!