Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

TV sound isolation--1 room, 2 humans?
TV sound isolation--1 room, 2 humans?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Markg2 is offline Markg2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TV sound isolation--1 room, 2 humans?

I need to attach headphones (Sony over ear ~$30 Costco ~5 years ago) to the bedroom TV that's ~20-25' from the bed so my wife can watch and I can read. The headphone output jack is currently used for a set of decent computer stereo speakers to enhance the TV's sound.

1. How do I determine the mm size of the TV female and headphone? Since the Sony male plugs into a boom box and iPhone and computer speakers plug into the TV headphone out, does that then mean all are 3.5mm and that would be the plug size for the extension?

2. Can I get a splitter for the TV jack to run both the speakers and headphones with a bypass switch or some way to toggle the sound between the speakers and headphones?

3. I'm finding inexpensive (C&E) and less inexpensive (KabelDirekt) 25' extension cables? Is there a significant difference in sound transmission over 25' and connection construction?

Mark
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
bicefalo is offline bicefalo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi,

something like this may be a smart solution:

Bluetooth Wireless TV Streaming Kit | Aluratek

cheers.
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting. If I connect using the included RCA-Y connector then how do I disable the speakers connected to the TV headphone jack other than unplugging?
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I checked two sellers. Amazon had 1 review, headphone/transmitter didn't pair out of the box--returned. Best Buy 1 review, wireless transmission very short and unstable--kept but didn't recommend.

I came up with "GOgroove
Wireless TV Bluetooth Headphones Kit with Transmitter AUX / RCA Adapter by GOgroove - DLX Headset - 14 Hour Battery, Lightweight Design, Plush Comfort Ear Cups - For Televisions..."

Amazon.com: Wireless TV Bluetooth Headphones Kit with Transmitter AUX / RCA Adapter by GOgroove - DLX Headset - 14 Hour Battery, Lightweight Design, Plush Comfort Ear Cups - For Televisions, Laptops, DVD Players: Cell Phones & Accessories

on Amazon @ ~1/2 the price and an Amazon Choice.

Inclined to the latter?

Mark

Last edited by Markg2; 3rd February 2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added URL
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

looks a good choice !

price + better conectivity...
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One question remaining--

If I connect using the included RCA-Y connector then how do I disable the speakers connected to the TV headphone jack other than unplugging?
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

One adapter like this:

Headphone Jack Splitter 3.5mm Jack Plug to 2x 3.5mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and switch off computers speakers when phones are used; should work with two devices ( headphones transmitter + comp. speakers ) connected at same time..

cheers.
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe if I explain the condition in more detail. My wife is just recovering from ankle surgery so she's largely in bed. When laid up she prefers TV/streaming. I prefer reading in an adjoining recliner. What we've located is dandy for now since she'll be doing all the TV and if I want to watch sports it'll be downstairs. However, once she starts recovering and is spending less and less time in bed, she is never going to remember to either switch to headphones at the TV or unplug at the TV and then she'll get pissed once in bed and realizes no headphones. I'll remember 'most' of the time to switch back to headphones if I'm watching sports and she's not in the room.

So with one or the other always plugged into the RCA and headphone output, the question remains 'how to remotely toggle'?
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am sorry...I hope Your wife will recover soon.

What about this solution for remote switch off computer loudspeakers ?

Amazon.com: Wifi Smart Plug Socket Adapter Remote Control Wireless Sockets Outlet Working with Amazon Alexa Google Home Voice Control with Timing Function for Android and IOS Devices: Electronics

TV RCA out > RCA cable with 3,5 female jack > jack adapter 1in 2out > headphones transmitter + comp. speakers always connected.
Old 3rd February 2018, 03:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Are yours comp. speakers AC powered ?

I can not find any audio remote controlled switcher...

cheers.

TV sound isolation--1 room, 2 humans?Hide this!Advertise here!