TV sound isolation--1 room, 2 humans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to attach headphones (Sony over ear ~$30 Costco ~5 years ago) to the bedroom TV that's ~20-25' from the bed so my wife can watch and I can read. The headphone output jack is currently used for a set of decent computer stereo speakers to enhance the TV's sound.

1. How do I determine the mm size of the TV female and headphone? Since the Sony male plugs into a boom box and iPhone and computer speakers plug into the TV headphone out, does that then mean all are 3.5mm and that would be the plug size for the extension?

2. Can I get a splitter for the TV jack to run both the speakers and headphones with a bypass switch or some way to toggle the sound between the speakers and headphones?

3. I'm finding inexpensive (C&E) and less inexpensive (KabelDirekt) 25' extension cables? Is there a significant difference in sound transmission over 25' and connection construction?

Mark

I checked two sellers. Amazon had 1 review, headphone/transmitter didn't pair out of the box--returned. Best Buy 1 review, wireless transmission very short and unstable--kept but didn't recommend.

I came up with "GOgroove
Wireless TV Bluetooth Headphones Kit with Transmitter AUX / RCA Adapter by GOgroove - DLX Headset - 14 Hour Battery, Lightweight Design, Plush Comfort Ear Cups - For Televisions..."

Amazon.com: Wireless TV Bluetooth Headphones Kit with Transmitter AUX / RCA Adapter by GOgroove - DLX Headset - 14 Hour Battery, Lightweight Design, Plush Comfort Ear Cups - For Televisions, Laptops, DVD Players: Cell Phones & Accessories

on Amazon @ ~1/2 the price and an Amazon Choice.

Inclined to the latter?

Mark

Last edited:
Maybe if I explain the condition in more detail. My wife is just recovering from ankle surgery so she's largely in bed. When laid up she prefers TV/streaming. I prefer reading in an adjoining recliner. What we've located is dandy for now since she'll be doing all the TV and if I want to watch sports it'll be downstairs. However, once she starts recovering and is spending less and less time in bed, she is never going to remember to either switch to headphones at the TV or unplug at the TV and then she'll get pissed once in bed and realizes no headphones. I'll remember 'most' of the time to switch back to headphones if I'm watching sports and she's not in the room.

So with one or the other always plugged into the RCA and headphone output, the question remains 'how to remotely toggle'?

Last edited:
Yes, they're Creative AC powered. The pin connection to the TV has been getting spotty on one channel for a time now. I presume that sort of thing has to do with the pin and not the TV's output socket.

This may be getting all too complicated but just for information, is there such a thing as a two channel Bluetooth transmitter that could be optionally paired with her headphones and 'new' wireless TV speakers? Changing the channel would have to be done either at the transmitter (me) or at the headphone (wife)?

If not, I'm getting the last combo from Amazon for ~$69

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.