Filtering higher listenable frequencies or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello out there

Currently i am building a Class A Headphone amplifier and i have a bit of a problem. I got young ears so i am really sensitive to higher frequency and i feel like sometimes when audio is not filtered aka having a nice and clean frequency response my ears are bleeding. Currently i managed to get the current respons

vkK3rcU.png

Is audio normally filtered around 16-20KHz or am i just using too high volume? I don't feel like the volume is too high myself which is why i'm confused. Headphones i'm using are Beyerdynamics DT990 32 OHM

---Update---

Apparently Spotify has a distortion problem so you should not use it at 100% volume...

Last edited:
'Phones are usually louder than you think. So many places to have a problem. Digital will be filtered by the nature of the beast. If it's low rate MP3, it might sound pretty awful; it does to me. Above 256 it's not so bad. IMO, the amp should be flat as a board because there's no reason why not. Somewhere ahead of that you can apply some correction, if needed. We'd have to know a lot more about the source and even what type of music you listen to. IMO, there's this belief that flat response sounds best, but it doesn't seem true in practice. When everything is right you shouldn't be bleeding and there shouldn't be listening fatigue even over a long session. It may take a bit of a downward tilt to achieve that.

Yeah they are, but the goal for me with the project is trying to amplify the audio signal with high impedance so it won't affect the frequency response so it sounds weird and it does indeed work and it does make it sound much better imo when listening to it

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Audio signal from FM tuner and CD player are filtered above 19-20 kHz, there should be no signal in ultrasound.
LP and good reel to reel are not.

However, its possible that you may have something oscillating in your headphone amplifier in ultrasound frequencies and you do not know about it, just sense it. Check it with oscilloscope if you have chance.

When i am not playing any audio i cannot hear anything, it is just when listening at higher volume i can hear the audio makes a kind of peak which is not in the amplifier part, i wonder if it is because i am using spotify at 100% volume, a few times i turned down Spotify to around 80-90% and that solved it

----UPDATE----
Apperently it is... Spotify has a problem with it clipping at 100% volume... How embarrassing for a big company like Spotify..

Last edited:
If you Google "Spotify Distortion" you will get many results, apparently it is a common issue. Currently i am connecting the audio source though a USB Streamer to a PCM5102 module and then to the AMP itself, had a few people look the amp though and they are impressed by the design and also a few people have listened to it at full blast with the result they couldn't hear it clipping. So it has to be Spotify. :/

If you like to amplify audio signals inside all over declaring 20Hz-20 kHz, you will get about nothing in pure sinusoidal form. Every sinusoidal has implemented aliquots in triangle, saw or quadratic grass signals in it. You can imagine in 1 kHz tone with ten to hundred aliquots inside, you measure really 100kHz tone. If you once more close frequency with filters, yes, you will get frequencies, but nothing from real speech or music. Limited bandwidth is one of the biggest lie in audio dialogues. Imagine, you seat in auditorium, full of listeners and listen applause of ten thousand people, maybe the last are 200m from you. You can clear listen everybody in front of limited bandwidth your ears. This much more complicate to answer, why is this so. The fast amplifier with minimum 100V/microsec and 1MHz bandwidth are the law for good reproduction.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you like to amplify audio signals inside all over declaring 20Hz-20 kHz, you will get about nothing in pure sinusoidal form. Every sinusoidal has implemented aliquots in triangle, saw or quadratic grass signals in it. You can imagine in 1 kHz tone with ten to hundred aliquots inside, you measure really 100kHz tone. If you once more close frequency with filters, yes, you will get frequencies, but nothing from real speech or music. Limited bandwidth is one of the biggest lie in audio dialogues. Imagine, you seat in auditorium, full of listeners and listen applause of ten thousand people, maybe the last are 200m from you. You can clear listen everybody in front of limited bandwidth your ears. This much more complicate to answer, why is this so. The fast amplifier with minimum 100V/microsec and 1MHz bandwidth are the law for good reproduction.

what a load of BS!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.