Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

"Sanctum" - simple tube headphone amp
"Sanctum" - simple tube headphone amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2017, 11:04 PM   #1
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default "Sanctum" - simple tube headphone amp

This is the second of the is style of headphone amp I have built. The first got sold, should never have done it. Here just SS rectification and three stage filtering. A small 5H Hammond choke starts the smoothing process.

Power tube is a RCA 6AS7 which I tested is 105% emissions and the 12AU7 is an Ozzi Miniwatt testing 95%. Good combo of tubes. Sockets are ceramic and most of the wiring is solid core. Alps Blue Velvet pot with solid brass knob. All WBT silver soldered (4%).

With a 12AX7 there is a lot more gain but you can just detect a faint hum. With the 12AU7, less gain (not a problem) and no hum. The amp drives both my 32ohm and 250ohm HPs without any problem. Lots of bass. The schematic is similar to the standard Bottlehead design. I'm using only 100uf 100V NP output caps. On the schematic they are recommending 680uf. I can't see how that is required I'm finding bass plentiful. All power caps are snubbed and the output cap is snubbed with a 220nf poly. I like to snub any large audio signal cap. I think it makes them quieter and I believe it allows better flow of HFs.

Base once more by my amp building buddy Don and is Australian Spotted Gum. The top plate is thick ABS. The sound is absolutely fabulous.
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 8th November 2017, 06:17 AM   #2
gideon1990 is offline gideon1990  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
This is the second of the is style of headphone amp I have built. The first got sold, should never have done it. Here just SS rectification and three stage filtering. A small 5H Hammond choke starts the smoothing process.

Power tube is a RCA 6AS7 which I tested is 105% emissions and the 12AU7 is an Ozzi Miniwatt testing 95%. Good combo of tubes. Sockets are ceramic and most of the wiring is solid core. Alps Blue Velvet pot with solid brass knob. All WBT silver soldered (4%).

With a 12AX7 there is a lot more gain but you can just detect a faint hum. With the 12AU7, less gain (not a problem) and no hum. The amp drives both my 32ohm and 250ohm HPs without any problem. Lots of bass. The schematic is similar to the standard Bottlehead design. I'm using only 100uf 100V NP output caps. On the schematic they are recommending 680uf. I can't see how that is required I'm finding bass plentiful. All power caps are snubbed and the output cap is snubbed with a 220nf poly. I like to snub any large audio signal cap. I think it makes them quieter and I believe it allows better flow of HFs.

Base once more by my amp building buddy Don and is Australian Spotted Gum. The top plate is thick ABS. The sound is absolutely fabulous.
It could be me but the pics don't show up?
Old 8th November 2017, 06:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is only one image showing? Or none?
Old 8th November 2017, 06:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Try this
Old 8th November 2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Morde is offline Morde  Finland
diyAudio Member

I would like to see the pictures of your head amp. Please upload the pics to diyAudio forum. Now it seem to be a link to diyaudioprojects.com and it doesn't work.

Last edited by Morde; 8th November 2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 8th November 2017, 04:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's been a while since I have uploaded anything here but think I have it right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (187.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 8th November 2017, 04:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

And another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (242.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 8th November 2017, 09:11 PM   #8
gideon1990 is offline gideon1990  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Now it is working! Looking good, do you have a schematic and shot of what is hiding under that plate?
Old 8th November 2017, 10:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (40.6 KB, 180 views)
Old 8th November 2017, 10:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For some reason I appear to be able to only load one image per post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (308.9 KB, 171 views)

"Sanctum" - simple tube headphone ampHide this!Advertise here!