Hey Audiophiles Need Some Advice !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you want something customizable, take a look at the Fostex T50RP. These are a modder's delight.
I bought a pair of these Fostex to replace my broken Sennheiser cans. Got them because of the large mod community for this model. But guess what, I like them so much I never modified them. Driving them with a little tube amp is pure listening pleasure.

Headphones are very personal, what works for your head and ears may not work for mine. Some people love Grado headphones - to me they are like hot needles in my ears. Being able to listen to a few sets is a good idea. A Can Jam meeting, if you can attend one, is an easy way to hear a lot of different models

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am no audiophile, but I know skull candy and bozo are utter junk...
You are better of with sennheiser, beyerdynamic, grado, audiotechnica, AKG and such companies. (too many to list, almost all better than bozo junk)
Recently discovered planars, and boy! do they thing! I got two models from HiFiman and one day (may be christmass present) I will go for HE1000.

Bose and Skullcandy make me think of clueless consumers, not audiophiles.

I auditioned the usual suspects (Bose, Skullcandy, Beats) at a big box store. Beats sounds muddy and Skullcandy sounds like an electric drill. Might be my hearing. One of the Bose sets sounded fantastic, but it was over $400, a stupid price.

Salesman really pushed Skullcandy. He promised that no matter which set I chose that I would be very happy. I pointed out that I listened to different genres of music and NEVER his mindless boom-boom music. He looked puzzled.

I ended up with some cheap Audio Technica cans which have some shortcomings (primarily that they look cheap) but for the price it doesn't even matter. Music is clear, and they play loud enough to be used as desktop speakers.

I don't get paying $200 for some crappy headphones that look ridiculous to boot.

Shootouts help.

I had luck with akg 701 but couldn't justify the improvement compared to $100 sennheiser hd555.

Eventually i ended with hd595's used but I'm not a headphone guy.

You can always search the swapmeet here for used headphones.

I found as headphone reviews got better and better that the headphones now become higher than 60ohm impedance, needing a headphone amplifier.

I had much luck with headphones driven straight off a cheap cd player, like a one we connect to our receivers.
Much listening fun for $30 from a pawn shop.

Last edited:
Welcome, fellow audiophile :)

Oh man... Bose is a four-letter word around here. Seriously. Many people start their foray into good quality sound with Bose, due to the perceptions out there. But they quickly learn that you do not get anywhere near what you pay for with their products. Their headphones aren't as bad as their so-called "hi-fi" products, but you'll be better off with pretty much any respectable brand like Sennheiser, Grado or AKG.

If you want something customizable, take a look at the Fostex T50RP. These are a modder's delight. Their retail price is a very affordable $150 and they have huge potential. So much so that some companies offer pre-modified versions. Have a look here: A DIYers Delight: The Fostex T50RP Mk3 | InnerFidelity

Alternatively, the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 are excellent value for money. Also have a look at the various HiFiMan headphones. Their planar magnetic tech is really something.
Thank you BuckarooBanzai for your reply. Would you please suggest me the Best Wireless Earbuds under $70.

Well forums you're going to learn something new about me, it's that I'm an audiophile. Yep that's my big secret.

But on a serious note, there is such a large market for guys like me who enjoy listening to music anywhere and everywhere. Because there's a time and place for every song that's ever been made. But the only problem is some headphones are gimmicks that are over priced and others are underpriced but lack everything.

So I just made this thread to ask you guys for your opinion on what I should personally get. I've had experience with Bose and Skull Candy. I'd prefer responses or links to highly customizable headphones that have excellent quality (Because I want my headphones to match my One Plus One) but all suggestions are welcome.

The only problem I see with Bose is that its an extra $50 for one button that has a mic on it but the quality is amazing.

The problems with skull candy is that its way more affordable but lacks overall quality.

EDIT: Normal Pricing Please. Nothing over $450 because that's just ridiculous and I'd personally never take it outside.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Please suggest me a good headphone.

Edit: I just realized my response below the line here is completely off topic. I thought that this thread was someone looking for headphones to monitor/produce with. Mods, feel free to delete this reply if it's too off topic but I'll leave it here for anyone who's interested.

When talking about sujective tastes in audio, it's really hard to judge what to suggest; please give us some background on your musical tastes and how you'll be driving them. And also if you see yourself buying a portable DAC/AMP (some of the things I love the most can't really be driven by my One Plus 5, so I need to keep my DAC/AMP with me).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Response: Moved to the appropriate thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...eadphones-music-production-3.html#post5340520

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.