DIY Ribbon Headphones

7svg, sorry, I can not see that pics as well as all your previous pics. As I know the player.ru is an internet shop, Russian one, right?

I cannot see any pics either.

BTW, I have the new RAAL Requisite SR1A ribbon headphone. Best overall headphones that I've ever heard - the most real sounding. RAAL uses a resistive load box with inductor for correction, or de-emphasis of the ribbon's rising response with frequency.

Evidently, a transformer for interfacing the amplifier with the ribbon driver is ruled out for two reasons:https://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif
1. If connect the headphones with a cable between the amp and the ribbon, even a very small cable inductance will excessively roll off the frequency response.
2. If you mount a transformer (impedance matching) on the headphone itself, the weight will be intolerable.

I cannot see any pics either.

BTW, I have the new RAAL Requisite SR1A ribbon headphone. Best overall headphones that I've ever heard - the most real sounding. RAAL uses a resistive load box with inductor for correction, or de-emphasis of the ribbon's rising response with frequency.

Evidently, a transformer for interfacing the amplifier with the ribbon driver is ruled out for two reasons:https://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif
1. If connect the headphones with a cable between the amp and the ribbon, even a very small cable inductance will excessively roll off the frequency response.
2. If you mount a transformer (impedance matching) on the headphone itself, the weight will be intolerable.
I congratulate you on your purchase. But I did not buy tape headphones, but I made them myself, and they cost me not $ 3,500, but only about $ 25. And I can tell you that they sound no worse than yours, but most likely they are better. Only ear pads are not ready yet.

And about the weight of the transformers you are mistaken. In my first prototype, I used transformers on ferrite rings, which were completely finished and weighed only 37 grams and were connected directly to ribbon drivers.

http://piccy.info/view3/13016835/f8d2af6589064b774e135dd29633284e/
http://piccy.info/view3/13016838/ddc0a5ad03ac32369a48fd45b34f46a1/

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm surprised more people have not commented on this awesome thread. Great job building these! Are you still listening to them and working on improving them? I know you worked on this a long time ago. I have had a couple of people trying to build these and am working on it as well. Anyway, just wanted to let you know great job!

Hello. Yes, I still enjoy my headphones. I came to some understanding of this type of drivers in the headphones and I consider their sound acceptable, I don’t have a desire to have others. There are people who abandoned the products of famous brands in favor of their homemade ones. There are more such people at the Russian-language forum than here.

Hello everyone. My new model.

Attachments

• В СБОРЕ.JPG
    В СБОРЕ.JPG
    487.9 KB · Views: 422
Hello, Please can you send me how can i make the transformer with ferrite ring. I use now a 6 ohm power resistor when i drive the transducer with power amplifier.
Hello. You do not need to make a transformer on a ferrite ring, because ferrite is not suitable for a transformer core for the entire band of audio
frequencies. To make a good transformer, find an amorphous iron core.
I abandoned transformers a long time ago, because I only listen to music with headphones at home, and I connect them to a power amplifier for acoustic systems through powerful resistors. I think that such a connection is better than a transformer one.
I used to use ferrite cores for transformers because I didn't have access to amorphous iron cores.
So I advise you to use ribbon headphones in conjunction with an amplifier for acoustics and powerful resistors. This is probably the best option.

Hello, thanks for your advice. I do the same as i have a tube power amplifier 2 x 10w connected with tranducers via power resistors. I design now, after construction of my first transducer with some success, a new transducer with 6 magnets, 3 on each side of ribbon. The ribbon also will be aluminum foil 60mm x 20mm. Did you tested the aluminum foil about 2 micron for ribbon microphones? These foils are very expensive. Also i am looking for longer n52 magnets such as 80mm or 100mm.

Hello, thanks for your advice. I do the same as i have a tube power amplifier 2 x 10w connected with tranducers via power resistors. I design now, after construction of my first transducer with some success, a new transducer with 6 magnets, 3 on each side of ribbon. The ribbon also will be aluminum foil 60mm x 20mm. Did you tested the aluminum foil about 2 micron for ribbon microphones? These foils are very expensive. Also i am looking for longer n52 magnets such as 80mm or 100mm.
Hello. It is the foil for microphones that I do not preach. But I reduced the thickness of the foil from the capacitor by chemical etching, and I concluded that the optimal foil thickness is like in KBG-MN capacitors, that is, 10 microns or a little less. 2 micron foil will not work well. So don't waste your money on mic foil. You don't need her.