JFET-MOSFET headphone amplifier J-Mo 3

Here is my best shot at J113 and IRF610 at 12Volt.
THD is 0.043%
The gain is like x3.

Attachments

• JMOS-Test-4-12V-IRF610.png
    JMOS-Test-4-12V-IRF610.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 476
Reactions: 1 user

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Note the distortion depends on output power and load resistance. So micromanaging the circuit for lowest value with 32 ohms won't guarantee optimal performance into 120 ohms, or vice versa.

60 ohms is a nice target value, as it is the geometric mean between 30 and 120 ohms, a range that covers a wide range of models.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IRF610 will be alright.
Most people have 610.

It is possible I could fix lower distortion with 12 Volt.
But the difference will not be very big.
I will see what I can do with J113 and IRF610.

How about Fairchild FQP3N30/FQP3P20? It was my impression these newer mosfets were a little better than IRF.

Note the distortion depends on output power and load resistance. So micromanaging the circuit for lowest value with 32 ohms won't guarantee optimal performance into 120 ohms, or vice versa.

60 ohms is a nice target value, as it is the geometric mean between 30 and 120 ohms, a range that covers a wide range of models.
Yes, of course it depends and there are headphones on very different impedance.
But I have a feeling many have 32 Ohm headphone.
I have.

60 Ohms load will get better figures than 32 Ohms in spice.
That I am almost sure of.

See my survey about headphones impedance.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is an optimal impedance defined by the bias current and voltage.

I haven't done the calculation for the J-Mo, but the Sapphire amp is configured around this idea.

Attachments

• headphone sensitivity.png
    headphone sensitivity.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 260
  • headphone power plot.png
    headphone power plot.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
ended up with a IR511 for the NMOS, used the biasing resistors from the OP and 9V supply. Worked first try! About 2x voltage gain open circuit, drops very slightly driving 32 ohm phones, rock solid for 130 ohm :)

I was reading through the thread though and wondering, should i change the 1k for the JFET to 2.2k for 130ohm use? Already found a matching pair of the JFETs(actiually a closely matching quad :D ) so i am concidering building a "proper" and stereo one on some perf and putting it in a case

Maybe not much of a looker but it works great :)

PSU could do with a choke probably as there is a very tiny amount of humm you can hear if you are in a quiet room with no signal input.

Ended up going for the medium impedance version with one change being the 33ohm resistor swapped for a 30ohm because I had a dual 5W precision part laying around.

Ended up using the BF245A and IRF511 and they seem just fine.

PSU is very simple, 15V wall adapter and a L7812CV with 1uF ceramics on the input and output.

Sound is great, very clear stereo separation. I find that it much more clearly depicts if an instrument is center-left or center-right rather than purely center mixed when listening with my case swapped HP-50As. Very interesting indeed!

1000001144.jpg

@bananasplit_00: What's so special to ROE capacitors? I have several values, NOS, they are ok, but not so exact measuring, some of them display even 40-50% bigger capacity. I know in the 70's or 80's they had a good name, but why should someone use them, especially in the audio path? If there's something great with them, please let me know...at least mine don't measure so good regarding ESR...