DC offset with output coupling capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As long as you use electrolytic capacitors for that purpose, you will always have the problem of leakage current.
It is only a matter of how much.
The offset will of course be less when the output is loaded with a low-impedance load, e.g. a headphone of < 65 ohm.

You can also use so-called low leakage electrolytic capacitors, such as Nichicon UKL.
But what it will not solve is the additional distortion due to the high dielectric absorption of electrolytics.

Which is why people use MKP caps in loudspeaker crossovers.
Or they build amps without output coupling caps.

Patrick

indeed it's not excessive.
But one can probably reduce that to <10% by reforming the electro.

That's why I would expect the current to drop over an hour or so, that reforms the capacitor to some extent (although not quite as well as when you slowly charge the capacitor to its rated voltage and then leave its rated voltage across it for an hour). By the way, I think cbdb could be on to something.

Last edited:
I still measure 40mV DC offset.

If you have a 1k load, try a 100R load. The offset should then be more like 4mV if it's due to leakage.
If so, burn in the capacitor by powering the circuit constantly for a day or two. The leakage should
then be much less. Off the shelf capacitors often need burn-in to meet their leakage specs, since they
can sit on the shelf for months (or years) after being built.

Last edited:
Does the value of the resistor, R8 to discharge the output coupling capacitor affect the impedance seen by the amplifier ? Lets say I put a value of 10ohm, and connect a headphone of 16ohm impedance, the impedance seen by the amplifier is 6.15ohm ? Does this make it harder for the amplifier to drive the headphone ? Will it change the sound ?

Does the value of the resistor, R8 to discharge the output coupling capacitor affect the impedance seen by the amplifier ? Lets say I put a value of 10ohm, and connect a headphone of 16ohm impedance, the impedance seen by the amplifier is 6.15ohm ? Does this make it harder for the amplifier to drive the headphone ? Will it change the sound ?

I forgot to attach pic. Here is the picture.

Joined 2011
Does the value of the resistor, R8 to discharge the output coupling capacitor affect the impedance
seen by the amplifier ? Lets say I put a value of 10ohm, and connect a headphone of
16ohm impedance, the impedance seen by the amplifier is 6.15ohm ? Does this make
it harder for the amplifier to drive the headphone ? Will it change the sound ?

Yes, it is an additional load. The effect on the circuit depends on the particular design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.