Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers
List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2018, 06:48 PM   #51
ZoSoNCSU is offline ZoSoNCSU  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ZoSoNCSU
Can anyone recommend a DIY Balanced (XLR in) Headphone Amplifier for under $400? I am using Audeze EL-8 (open-backs), SoundMagic HP150 headphone, and Shure SE425 IEMs.

I have multiple DACs with XLR outputs (DSC1.Difference & ES9038Pro based DAC) and I am looking to use them as intended. I do not care to hear people debate the merits of balanced vs unbalanced amplifiers. I found it obvious that XLR has much better noise rejection properties and completely balanced DACs (DSC1) will never be as good converting XLR to RCA (even my Douglas Self designed XLR to RCA converter/pre-amp can't match true balanced DAC -> balanced Amp).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! If there aren't really any in a kit that are up to the task, I am fine with a schematic and parts list.
Old 3rd May 2018, 08:00 PM   #52
mediatechnology is offline mediatechnology  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSoNCSU View Post
Can anyone recommend a DIY Balanced (XLR in) Headphone Amplifier for under $400? I am using Audeze EL-8 (open-backs), SoundMagic HP150 headphone, and Shure SE425 IEMs.

I have multiple DACs with XLR outputs (DSC1.Difference & ES9038Pro based DAC) and I am looking to use them as intended. I do not care to hear people debate the merits of balanced vs unbalanced amplifiers. I found it obvious that XLR has much better noise rejection properties and completely balanced DACs (DSC1) will never be as good converting XLR to RCA (even my Douglas Self designed XLR to RCA converter/pre-amp can't match true balanced DAC -> balanced Amp).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! If there aren't really any in a kit that are up to the task, I am fine with a schematic and parts list.
Dual Class-A II Line Output and Headphone Amplifier

Uses THAT 1240 (or 1246) balanced line receivers.
Old 26th March 2019, 02:11 PM   #53
dernupois is offline dernupois
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the infos!
Old 26th March 2019, 02:13 PM   #54
dernupois is offline dernupois
diyAudio Member

Good good good!

List of best DIY Headphone AmplifiersHide this!Advertise here!