List of best DIY Headphone Amplifiers

You've not said what your headphones are. If I were you I'd start a new thread which would then be dedicated to your questions about amps. Describe what you want to do and I guess helpers will appear. On this thread I guess few will want to derail it in order to help you in detail.

Hello,

Where is the Beta 22 thread?

At "Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems >" I switched to descending order of replies, and I could not find it. Maybe I'm overlooket, I hope, but I can't believe there is no thread for the Beta 22?

I've just decided to make one, 2 channel probably, running on 2 small 12V SLA battery. I was looking to read build experiences etc ... It is strange for me that I could not find it on a very popular amp.

Regards,
JG
Giordano, you should start a Beta22 headphone amp thread when you start building it. It has the best topology and AMB Lab provides the most helpful and comprehensive instruction among any DIY project that I had seen. Excellent result should be a given if you follow the instruction carefully. I will love to hear your build journal.

AMB have very complete description, including detail parts number, of needed components. But there is no complete BOM for Mouser or DigiKey yet.

This is not a cheap project. I wish I can hear one of the built unit someday. Best wishes for your adventure.

Does anyone know if there's a DIY or kit version of a THX AAA amp?

I've been auditioning "high end but not insanely priced" units lately, as I want something for my band's live cue system (I need six of them)

The Hood's nice, the Atom's nice, the O2's nice... but the THX has a slight bit more solidity in the LF, (even single ended) which is very important for this application. Granted, that might have something to do with a better power supply design, but I suspect it's both.

$400 is a bit pricey for me right now, esp when I need six. I'd LOVE to roll my own, if possible,

Giordano, you should start a Beta22 headphone amp thread when you start building it. It has the best topology and AMB Lab provides the most helpful and comprehensive instruction among any DIY project that I had seen. Excellent result should be a given if you follow the instruction carefully. I will love to hear your build journal.

AMB have very complete description, including detail parts number, of needed components. But there is no complete BOM for Mouser or DigiKey yet.

This is not a cheap project. I wish I can hear one of the built unit someday. Best wishes for your adventure.

And Ti is a super guy. Agreed...his build instructions are awesome. I also think that Tom Christiansen’s/Neurochrome instruction manuals are awesome. I use them both in many of my diy SS projects.

Best,
Anand.

Can anyone recommend a DIY Balanced (XLR in) Headphone Amplifier for under $400?

Don't know how much it might cost to build, but possibly the best HPA in this forum is cloned in a thread here: Pass HPA-1, what do we know? ...listening tests during design of the original were mostly done with Audeze LCD-X.

It is the same HPA design as: Pass Labs HPA-1 headphone amplifier | Stereophile.com

That said, I have a Neurochrome HP-1 and find it great for analytical work when I want to evaluate distortion of another device by ear. Did find it has a bit of RF sensitivity at the inputs.

Last edited:
There's a fella selling a 2X BUF634 board on eBay -- the only difficulty for some may be that it uses SMA connectors.

Of course, I am partial to Dr. Marsh's HPA compact with vanishingly low THD%, but I have a horse in that race having sold hundreds of PCB's (at cost). The input JFETs aren't quite as easy to source as they had been.

Not found composite amplifiers on LT1210

LT1210 is a high current, current feedback amplifier -- if you look at the datasheet there is an example using a precision opamp (LT1097),

LT1210 is rather expensive, but in the TO-220 version easy to heat-sink and wire up. I've used it (to inject a signal into a power supply for measuring PSRR). If you are going to use the LT1210 you can not in the least be inattentive to layout.

Last edited:
My composite is on LF357/LT1210 . Gain at 20kHz 123db
Non-inverting composite with embedded OOS .layout

Attachments

• LF357 LT1210.JPG
    LF357 LT1210.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 1,073
  • LF357 LT1210 AC.JPG
    LF357 LT1210 AC.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,033
  • AD825 1210.jpg
    AD825 1210.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 993
  • AD825  LT1210.JPG
    AD825 LT1210.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Cableaddict,

I would seriously look into Tom Christiansen’s new HP2 design if THX level performance is what you are after:
HP-2 – Neurochrome

He has a thread in the Vendors forum...

Best,
Anand.

I am not much of a reviewer mainly b/c everyone has their own preferences. However, I agree with Anand wholeheartedly. I have one of Tom's HP2s, and it is a fabulous HP amplifier. I never had the opportunity to hear the HP1, but the HP2 seems to certainly fit another poster's previous request for a "reference" style amplifier and would also line up with THX level performance. Tom stands behind all his designs, and I can say I'm very, very happy with the HP2. I use it with 32 Ohm planars up to 300 ohm Senns and everything in between.

I do not normally join discussions about "the best of ....".
But XLR (balanced) input does not always mean a fully balanced amplifier.
An example is the single ended Borberly EB602-200, which will accept differential inputs.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/hea...borberly-eb602-200-revisited.html#post5492287

But of course you can also go fully symmetrical, such as a F5X-HA.
F5 Headamp ?

And if you like the sound of zero global feedback, then an XCEN followed by a discrete LH0033 Sziklai actually sounds very nice.
XCEN Balanced to Single-Ended Converter Revisited
XEN ZGF Portable Headphone Amplifier
http://xen-audio.com/documents/xen-zgf/ZGF Desktop Description V1.pdf

Merry Christmas,
Patrick

Here's one I made for a friend that can be done on the cheap... it's a 6p15p parafeed. Granted it is geared towards 55ohm headphones it wouldn't take much to optimize it to your cans of preference... especially seeing how the output transformers can be had for $10. Best sounding headphone amplifier I have ever heard. I am proud of this one. There is a small bug in the schematic... it doesn't show the center tap of the power transformer, and it should be grounded.

Attachments

• 20191014_190708.jpg
    20191014_190708.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 818
  • 20191014_192903.jpg
    20191014_192903.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 790
  • 20191216_174103.jpg
    20191216_174103.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 470