AmpCasq: an OPA1622 integrated headamp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Focal Clear

Hi Alex.

Pretty busy now, I'm currently building my very first pair of speakers...

Focal Clear....whaaou...beautiful headphone, i'd love to have a trial with my Ampcasq !

It's 55 and 104dBspl/1mW so it's ok for AmpCasq.
How does it compare paired with yout other head amp ?

Chris

Chris,

It works wonderfully! Its right up there with them all. Listening to Eva Cassidy with the amp amd Focal Clears....absolutely great together. No issue with either of the gain settings.

So good to here from you and neat to hear your building a set of speakers!!

Please let us know how that is going!

You mentioned you were looking at a dac a long time ago, did you ever do anything with that project?

All the best
Alex

Joined 2015
Paid Member
long way to dac...

Before entering the Dac project, I've been working on a lab supply, rearranging my lab and working on a sig-gen project with 4 layers pcb. Sig-gen is not finished yet, time to write the software was much longer than expected and pcb could enhanced.
In the meantime, I've been following Elvee's threads related to Ezmos and Old-fashioned amps and I decided to build a pair. But I didn't have suitable speakers to go with, this is why I'm currently working on a 2-way passive bookshelf speaker project. This not the straightest path but, when terminated, I'll have a lab, a lab supply, an amp, speakers and additional pcb skills available to start a DAC project ! This will probably be AK4493 or 4499 successors...
That’s the plan, for now …:p
Chris

Hi Chris...

I just bought a set of the HEDD headphones from HEDD in Germany. Very heavy at 718gms and new tech AMT drivers.....

Fairly inefficient at 42 ohms @ 87dB SPL for 1mW.

But the little ampcasq in high gein really drives these demanding cans rather well...very clear, and very loud.

Actually seems to present more detailed or better resolution that several other amps here.

Hope things are well over there!!

All the best!
Alex

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hi Alex,

Glad to read you are still using AmpCasq.
Your new headphone has amazing driver technology : a folded diaphragm with compress and expand the air !. I would like to listen one, but for now there’s no distributor in Paris.
I’m still surprised by the way this little amp sound, but one should not forget the the chip is not a traditional opamp but an amp designed for headphone.
Actually the first words which come in mind about AmpCasq are the same you’re using : loud, clear, detailed…, our experiences seems coherent.

Stay safe !

Regards
Chris

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California
and
Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

Magni Heresy: choose this one if you want a 100% op-amp-based headphone amp that delivers spectacular measurements. Thank the high-quality op-amps used: OPA1662 for gain, OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability. With these advanced parts (the OPA1688 even uses feedforward in its topology), we’re getting 6-8dB lower THD+N than Magni 3+, which is already 10-15dB lower THD+N than Magni 3.

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.