Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Blind Virtual Audition of Several Headamps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which amp provides the presentation that you like the best ?
A 1 5.00%
B 7 35.00%
C 1 5.00%
D 1 5.00%
E 2 10.00%
F 4 20.00%
G 2 10.00%
H 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2017, 01:46 PM   #21
needtubes is online now needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
But the fact remains that the sound you hear the difference to is purely the result of changes of the DUT has to remain (barring a file processing error on my part - perhaps file B is victim to).
That may be, but the resulting sound each of us hears is further "modified" by our own equipment. So, if one fixed listener listens to the clips on two different systems that he/she may own, and these two systems have different sound characteristics, isn't it likely that the listener would choose two different clips as "best"?

In particular, this test doesn't help us determine which amp we may like best, since, again, we would be hearing the amp's sound through out own amps. And, it would seem foolish to daisy-chain two amps to get one's preferred sound...
Old 6th February 2017, 02:00 PM   #22
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The same argument can be said of one's own hearing apparatus - each person's own eardrum, inner ear bones, cochlea, cilliary receptors, nerve endings, our personal psychoacoustics, etc, all influence how we *perceive" sound. Does it make any sense to say that what you hear is modified by your own biological hearing so the only true way is to connect electrodes directly to your brain so you can hear electrical impulses devoid of the ear's acoustic imprint? Let's assume you have a decent amp and good headphones - you may not hear the same thing as if the amp was plugged into your own headphone, but a representation of it. Just as if you listened to a recording of music that you bought on a CD, it is a representation of it and still suitable for making an impression of whether or not you liked the recording.
Old 6th February 2017, 02:28 PM   #23
needtubes is online now needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...Let's assume you have a decent amp and good headphones...
I do...

Quote:
you may not hear the same thing as if the amp was plugged into your own headphone, but a representation of it. Just as if you listened to a recording of music that you bought on a CD, it is a representation of it and still suitable for making an impression of whether or not you liked the recording.
Fair enough. If one holds their own system constant while auditioning the various files (as I am sure everyone would...), the differences between the amps in question may become apparent. Still, I would be concerned that if I preferred a certain clip, and subsequently built the amp based on that preference, that the sound may seem lacking because the sound of the amp on its own would differ from the sound of the clip through my system...
Old 6th February 2017, 03:00 PM   #24
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Still, I would be concerned that if I preferred a certain clip, and subsequently built the amp based on that preference, that the sound may seem lacking because the sound of the amp on its own would differ from the sound of the clip through my system...
This is true of any DIY project, but I am hoping that this gives one more set of data points to make a choice in addition to the usual research via reading and other users' anecdotes. An in-person audition is always the ultimate test I suppose. But one thing about most of the headamps I build, just 2 transistors and maybe 10 resistors and a couple of caps - not much risk in it not working out.
Old 6th February 2017, 03:58 PM   #25
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
The problem here is that the Wav files bit depth is undefined, so I assume 16 bit.
The recorded Wav files are not at exactly the same level, so the process of normalising will introduce differing errors, and the then conversion to MP3 further throws away information further obscuring any differences between the amplifiers.
You need a pilot/reference tone track in iTunes and a volume pot between iTunes and the DUTs to establish exact and consistent output level of the DUTs.
With the differences between amplifiers expected to be minimal, MP3 files are not suitable as audition material.
Dropbox links to Wav files, preferrably 24bit would be a much better method.

Dan.
Old 6th February 2017, 04:15 PM   #26
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

look like there is a difference on sibilance ....
Old 6th February 2017, 07:06 PM   #27
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Erm.. Elephant in the room question remains:
Purpose.. of Poll?
Beyond your demonstrated addiction to 'polls'
Can one Not decide which is preferable in one's ears?
This a simple values reinforcement exercise Or some prelude to selling?
Religiously avoiding headphone listening entirely, I'm simply a curious passing spectator
Old 6th February 2017, 08:19 PM   #28
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Why a poll? Because we all like to know consensus of opinion and it's fun. I should say that these amps are all very nice sounding. You would probably be happy with almost any one of them.
Old 6th February 2017, 09:23 PM   #29
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
The problem here is that the Wav files bit depth is undefined, so I assume 16 bit.
The recorded Wav files are not at exactly the same level, so the process of normalising will introduce differing errors, and the then conversion to MP3 further throws away information further obscuring any differences between the amplifiers.
You need a pilot/reference tone track in iTunes and a volume pot between iTunes and the DUTs to establish exact and consistent output level of the DUTs.
With the differences between amplifiers expected to be minimal, MP3 files are not suitable as audition material.
Dropbox links to Wav files, preferrably 24bit would be a much better method.

Dan.
The Focusrite is capable of 24bit resolution. The Audacity setting for the wav file is 32bit float so I suppose it is enough to handle the native resolution of the interface. I am using specific Focusrite provided drivers to allow the max resolution and speed (up to 192kHz).
Old 6th February 2017, 09:33 PM   #30
JohnLopez is offline JohnLopez  Canada
diyAudio Member

XRK971. I have some comments which I offer as constructive in the context of your research. Rather than a poll, each of us can use a digital editor, and see if the files are comparable, (or not, as in this case) ; see the stereo mp3 / wav files in the Frequency Spectrum. See when they are well recorded, or clipping , etc, etc. Your first file is the best, recorded as a 16 bit wav file @48 Kilohertz and 1536 kbps, but leaving too much headroom. Files B to H were recorded as mp3 files at 48 Kilohertz and 320 kbits, at various levels, the highest, close to clipping was B, which everyone seems to like!. With the Digital Editor, each of us can listen through our own computer Audio System, and get a good idea, backed up spectrum observations, as to the quality of each digital file. The last (Reference File) was recorded as mp3 44.1 Kilohz and 320 kbps. Note that your files were not converted in this process. Keep- up the good work. John Lopez.

Blind Virtual Audition of Several HeadampsHide this!Advertise here!