Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Blind Virtual Audition of Several Headamps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which amp provides the presentation that you like the best ?
A 1 5.00%
B 7 35.00%
C 1 5.00%
D 1 5.00%
E 2 10.00%
F 4 20.00%
G 2 10.00%
H 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th June 2017, 04:42 PM   #181
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
A review of the Pocket Headamp by Headfonics just came out:

XRK Audio Class A NHB Pocket Amp Review
Awesome review, congrats X! Very, very well deserved praise, in my opinion.
Old 4th June 2017, 06:15 PM   #182
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Pcgab!
Old 19th March 2018, 02:15 PM   #183
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Itís been a while but I think another Blind Virtual Audition thread is coming up now that I have about 8 new amps I want to compare. I have more than 8 new ones so have to decide which ones get tested. Of course, the winner of this first thread should be there for reference and the rest are being decided. Here is a photo of the testing auditioning setup which is colocated with my speaker listening position. Very nice to compare sound from speakers to same from headphones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1C27F279-AA03-4C4D-A4A9-2128E1FC2A92.jpeg (647.3 KB, 1323 views)
Old 21st March 2018, 02:59 AM   #184
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

X, I look forward to your next virtual audition. You have so many speakers and amps!

Click the image to open in full size.

It occurs to me that the only part of your signal path that you haven't hand built is your DAC. At the moment I am listening to your Pocket Class A through my Fostex planars, fed by my first DIY DAC--although I didn't build this one...member Matt_Garman did. It is a non-oversampling design based on the ancient Philips TDA1387, and it sounds sublime. Gerbers are freely available here, and the best part is that it only costs $20 in parts. Mine is a tiny Raspberry Pi hat, but he designed a larger board too. Just in case you're interested!
Old 21st March 2018, 03:29 AM   #185
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarelephant View Post
X, I look forward to your next virtual audition. You have so many speakers and amps!

It occurs to me that the only part of your signal path that you haven't hand built is your DAC. At the moment I am listening to your Pocket Class A through my Fostex planars, fed by my first DIY DAC--although I didn't build this one...member Matt_Garman did. It is a non-oversampling design based on the ancient Philips TDA1387, and it sounds sublime. Gerbers are freely available here, and the best part is that it only costs $20 in parts. Mine is a tiny Raspberry Pi hat, but he designed a larger board too. Just in case you're interested!
I am very interested in this. Ebay sources legit? They're so cheap I can't imagine that they're faked , but I don't know

Thank you for posting this!!
Old 21st March 2018, 04:16 AM   #186
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
If you think eBay is cheap as chips for TDA1387 just wait til you see Taobao's pricing
Old 21st March 2018, 04:33 AM   #187
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

Love the prototype style. Looks good, quick & efficient. Very nice!

Phil
Old 21st March 2018, 06:55 PM   #188
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarelephant View Post

And you have not seen the 15 other pairs of speakers in storage or the 36 amps outside of view

You are right, a DAC is not something I have designed and built. Although I did assemble one (CS8416 CS4398 iwth coaxial 24/192k) from a kit. It sounded good and had a powerful +/-15v opamp (of your choosing) as the output but software/driver wise it suffered pops when changing songs and sometimes formats. Very annoying and potentially speaker destroying pops. So relegated to the junk heap.

My next one was a prebuilt XMOS U8 PCM5102 TD1308 and it worked very well - no issues with pops. Lacks a volume knob and cannot drive amps to clipping are my complaints.

Now I am using the DAC that comes with the Focusrites and they sound quite good, probably bordering on excellent. I brought the 2i4 with me to a HeadFi meet and several people there listened to the Focusrite and asked me more info about it as they were unfamiliar with it. Most people use is as a musical session recorder not as a DAC. But they told me it sounds very good, perhaps as good as some of the pricey $1k DACs that were also being played at the same meet.

If I do a DAC, the next one will be a ladder logic one - always intrigued me. In university, I saw a friend make an 8-bit DAC from scratch (TTL logic chips) for a project that took RS232 to drive an analog motor for an ROV submarine we built together. Now make it 192khz and 24bits and use 0.1% tolerance resistors. Sounds like I need the Soekris next...
Old 21st March 2018, 06:57 PM   #189
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH104 View Post
Love the prototype style. Looks good, quick & efficient. Very nice!

Phil
You mean the hot-glue everything to a plank and call it a day amps?

Old 29th March 2018, 01:42 AM   #190
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

The Soekris looks epic. So does your workshop!

Blind Virtual Audition of Several HeadampsHide this!Advertise here!