Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2016, 06:49 PM   #11
tomchr is online now tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

The OPA1611 is better suited to a composite headphone amp than the OPA1622. The '11 is lower noise and higher GBP. The OPA1688 is even noisier than the OPA1622.

The OPA1622 is in a SON package. No SOIC or DIP version is available. I can't reliably hand-solder the SON package.

So to answer your question: Yes. I did look at the OPA1622 before committing to the OPA1611/12. I wasn't familiar with the OPA1688 at the time, but seeing it now doesn't change anything for me.

Tom
Old 15th December 2016, 07:48 PM   #12
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I see U sell SMPS power board populated with 2 pcs of 15USD meanwell power modules for 200USD.

Good going

//
Old 16th December 2016, 04:00 AM   #13
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
The OPA1611 is better suited to a composite headphone amp than the OPA1622. The '11 is lower noise and higher GBP. The OPA1688 is even noisier than the OPA1622.

The OPA1622 is in a SON package. No SOIC or DIP version is available. I can't reliably hand-solder the SON package.

So to answer your question: Yes. I did look at the OPA1622 before committing to the OPA1611/12. I wasn't familiar with the OPA1688 at the time, but seeing it now doesn't change anything for me.

Tom
OPA1611/12 is definitely the better choice for a composite solution.

We developed the OPA1622 to be a single chip high-fidelity headphone solution capable of delivering enough output power for most applications. A major portion of our effort was put into reducing output stage distortion, therefore significantly less loop gain was needed in the OPA1622 to achieve very low overall distortion. Using less loop gain also had the benefits of improving power consumption and stability with capacitive loads.

However, if you're adding your own output stage externally (as is the case here) you're not going to benefit from all that work we did on the OPA1622's output stage. And there will be less loop gain to improve the distortion of the external output stage.

Great design! If you're not constraint by PCB area and power consumption you can certainly make some really cool things

Last edited by johnc124; 16th December 2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 16th December 2016, 05:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
OPA1611/12 is definitely the better choice for a composite solution.
Just beware of the phase wobble from the internal compensation in those. Just slapping an LME49600 and OPA1611 together will result in an amp that will oscillate with common headphone cable capacitances. Also, depending on the closed loop gain, using the OPA1611 as a standalone amp may benefit from a little cap across the feedback resistor to tame the transient response for the same reason.

Thankfully all this simulates, so those paying attention will catch those things early in the design phase.

They're indeed nice amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
Great design! If you're not constraint by PCB area and power consumption you can certainly make some really cool things
Thank you.

Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 16th December 2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 19th December 2016, 06:45 PM   #15
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi. Seem like an interesting DIY project. Can you elaborate a little on the total cost for a DIY built? From the website I can see:
-Bare PCB + RCA + button = $250
-Enclosure = 250$
Total = 500$ without the parts (Is it in U$?)

Do you have an estimate of the BOM total cost? I can see there are a few expensive op-amp and both AC-DC Power modules are 17$ each. Or can we get the BOM so we can estimate the total cost?

Thanks
SB

Last edited by Algar_emi; 19th December 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 20th December 2016, 12:26 AM   #16
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, after reading correctly the website I found that the BOM is around 250U$ and that prices are in U$
Old 20th December 2016, 12:33 AM   #17
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have found myself with a growing interest in compound amplifies.

Where's the schematic ???
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th December 2016, 12:50 AM   #18
nycavsr2000 is online now nycavsr2000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I have found myself with a growing interest in compound amplifies.

Where's the schematic ???
Schematics are only available after purchase of the board. It's his bread & butter and he's running a legitimate business with overhead, etc...

Best,
Anand.
Old 20th December 2016, 01:24 AM   #19
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

sorry... no harm intended.

I have been thinking about amplifiers with CFP outputs - as being compound amplifiers. My own design with CFP outputs sounds much better than anything else I've made so far so I figure that there is some 'magic' in this approach.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th December 2016, 01:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yeah. I don't work for free and I don't give away my work. No offence intended. That's simply reality. None of my suppliers work for free either. I could have bought a pretty nice used car with the money I've invested so far just in the HP-1 project...

Tom

Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone AmpHide this!Advertise here!