OPA1688 Super CMOY, 2x 9V with real ground and headphone relay - PCBs

Oscar,

Its packed and ready to go. I am heading out town in the morning but will take it with me and post from my destination hopefully sometime tomorrow.

The Altoids Blue tin is in the package and the super cmoy is inside of it in foam.

You will have to drill and mount as we discussed and I included a small volume knob as well.

Stay tuned.
Alex

Great work Alex! Looks real good! A Super Cmoy is worth waiting for. Will be a joy to try it out, will keep you posted on my impression.
I guess this will make my fostex sing for sure.

And I also thank you again AGDR, both for setting me up with Alex and all the support!
Im holding my thumbs for a safe trip over the atlantic..

Oscar
You'll be very pleased with your Super CMOY built by @adydula. He does excellent work. Mine is working without a hitch now for nearly six (6) months straight always powered "on". Enjoy!

Yep, still going strong after six (6) months of being "on". Your idea (non-battery option) using a RECOM RW-0509D DC-DC Converter which converts the 5V from the USB 2.0 DIY power-only cable to the required 9V is working perfectly.

Glad to hear that WoodyLuvr!
Mine is also running off that same RECOM module and it's been working flawlessly.

My only possible concern with keeping yours on 247 is I looked up the Mouser page on the two organic polymer electrolytic capacitors (C11 & C12)
RNE1C101MDS1 Nichicon | Mouser
Their life cycle is rated at 5000 hours. If you've kept it on for 6 months that's 4380 hours...

So anyone that wants to chime in, what happens after surpassing the rated number of hours on an electrolytic capacitor? :scratch2:

Oscar,

Its packed and ready to go. I am heading out town in the morning but will take it with me and post from my destination hopefully sometime tomorrow.

The Altoids Blue tin is in the package and the super cmoy is inside of it in foam.

You will have to drill and mount as we discussed and I included a small volume knob as well.

Stay tuned.
Alex
Great! It feels good to have it protected like that. You never know what might happend on the way. Nice of you to include a knob!

Use paper hole punch, and reamer to enlarge vol pot but not a drill. Drill rips and tears the metal.
Thanks for the tip, I also heard that you can use hole punch plier for metal. We have a metal department at my design school, will borrow some tools. I been thinking about the hole for the led if its not tight enough you would get dust into the tin, from pockets and such. Seen some rubber gasket that people have around the led on some cmoy designs. Is it something to consider?

You'll be very pleased with your Super CMOY built by @adydula. He does excellent work. Mine is working without a hitch now for nearly six (6) months straight always powered "on". Enjoy!
Yes, I cant see how i could be disappointed, it seems to be much appreciated.

Oscar, its on its way to you!

First Class International Post.

Alex

Thank you!

I think I answered my own question doing a little research. But for anyone curious, here's what I found out :)

The number of rated hours for a capacitor are estimated by it operating at its maximum rated temperature. In the case of C11 & C12, it's 105°C.

As you decrease the ambient operating temperature from its maximum, however, the estimated life skyrockets in the number of hours.

So in the case of C11 & C12 in the datasheet it says,
"105°C 2000Hrs at rated voltage"

But according to this calculator:
Capacitor Life Calculators | Electrolytic | Film | Ceramic | Illinois Capacitor
Using the polymer type, the estimated life hours at say, 70°F would be 78,237,507 hours!

So Woodyluvr, I think you should be totally fine leaving it running 247 :hphones:

I think I answered my own question doing a little research. But for anyone curious, here's what I found out :)

The number of rated hours for a capacitor are estimated by it operating at its maximum rated temperature. In the case of C11 & C12, it's 105°C.

As you decrease the ambient operating temperature from its maximum, however, the estimated life skyrockets in the number of hours.

So in the case of C11 & C12 in the datasheet it says,
"105°C 2000Hrs at rated voltage"

But according to this calculator:
Capacitor Life Calculators | Electrolytic | Film | Ceramic | Illinois Capacitor
Using the polymer type, the estimated life hours at say, 70°F would be 78,237,507 hours!

So Woodyluvr, I think you should be totally fine leaving it running 247 :hphones:
Awesome! Thank you for this info! You had me slightly concerned there but I kept coming back to the original end-use of this converter (medical grade equipment) and thought it HAD TO BE longer than that. Very happy that it is!

With the giant heat sink attached it is just barely warm to the touch... far cooler than say my INTEL KABY LAKE PENTIUM CPU which is not even 65 C. So I say it is running well under 60 C.

I got a message yesterday from customs and have paid the import charges. Im most certain that this is the amp, since im not expecting something else. It usually does not take this long time, if it arrives in beginning of next week, then it took over a month.
As long as it arrives, i dont mind waiting.

Yeah!! I am so relieved!! Sending stuff overseas at a decent cost has always worried me, especially if something gets lost etc...

So happy it works and got there ok....enjoy the amp its really a nice design and compares very well with many other higher priced amps...

Running on batteries, pure DC power you dont have the issues that people have with AC power, trnsformers, hum etc..

All the best!

I have three more pc boards here....think I will build them up in the near future!

Alex