Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

AM I CRAZY? DIY nearfield nude driver desktop headphone concept
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2016, 12:42 AM   #11
Intrio is offline Intrio
diyAudio Member

Default ipad behind head as a prototype.

I just signed up on this forum for this topic.

You're not crazy. Though it might not have to require nude or big drivers to work well enough.

This may or may not work for you, it doesn't for my audioloving neighbor.

I discovered by accident, with an ipad on the couch and me on the floor using the couch as a head rest, that if an ipad is positioned about a hands distance from *behind*the head, forming somewhat of a triangle. Speakers pointed to the back of the ears, that it produces a sound stage significantly better than my fancy sennheiser and genelec studio monitors, an illusion hanging in front of me.

Doing some research, the ipad speakers are full range, point source, decent magnet, and 3 watt ish adequate power for that space between headphone and near field.

Even with average encoded youtube music videos I'm hearing things I've never heard before on CD, in how it's mastered, though the sweet spot is indeed small about hand sized wide and high. But...when it's on, it' so worth it for me I'd sell my sennheisers! (which give me headaches wearing them with glasses)

As the ipad speakers are about 2 inches apart, and create a venn like diagram of where the left/right audio overlap, where the head is the middle and basically blocks oppossing audio.

It works better if you put a divider between the speakers and head to help deal with lower frequency crosstalk cancellation, as those are bending around the head.

I think part of the effect is when it's on a flat surface acting like a horn, but the spatial aspects seem independent of that. As it's close and if the head is connected (say by couch foam) to the ipad there is a tactile effect and if ears are plugged there's an inner sensation effect typical of live audio (typically missing from headphones listening)

It also works reflected for me. Like put a foam pad on the floor, lie down staring up at the ceiling, and then the ipad on a pillow pointing down (if you have hardwood), reflecting up into the back of your ears.

Wierdly direct audio (ipad in front) doesn't product the same almost holographic spatial detail for me.

I ordered some ipad replacement speakers trying to integrate it into a zero gravity like recliner floor chair , but sadly they can't be driving by a conventional amp.

Was hoping others might have some suggestions as to alternate ways to power or similar sized drivers that are equally small/powerful.
Old 19th May 2020, 11:20 AM   #12
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I had a similar idea this morning. I am glad I hit the search button first I have a chair in a corner where I listen to headphones. To move the drivers out a bit so one does not have to wear the headphones sounds doable. Ideally, mounted to the rotating chair as anything placed on the floor would be tripped over by the kids or the wife

So I imagine a pair of small full range loudspeakers mounted on the handles in a similar fashion as backview mirrors on a motorbike with an optional subwoofer mounted on the back of the chair. I have some small full rangers and a 3D printer available. I am sure my wife will love the looks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:06 PM   #13
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I missed this thread originally, must have been working back then. I am intrigued by Intrio's post, but he never returned. Can't quite figure out what he was doing.

Charlie, did this project ever go anywhere?
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:52 AM   #14
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Intrio's explanation reminds me somewhat of what the girlfriend does when in the bath.

She puts her mobile phone inside a pint beer glass and leaves it on the side of the bath, playing music.

The horizon leans forward, Offering you space to place new steps of change. Here, on the pulse of this fine day You may have the courage To look up and out and upon me, the Rock, the River, the Tree, your country.
Old 25th May 2020, 04:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Wanting to give Charlie's hare brained idea a try I had envisioned building a giant rig with multiple drivers and series parallel wiring, etc. But this morning I thought "Hang on, why not just hold up the drivers and listen?"

Well yeah, it sounds about how you might expect. Bigger is defiantly better for tonal balance because the small drivers have no bass until they are within a hands width of your ear. But once the speakers get close, they just sound like headphones with the same inside the head image. They sound like very open, clean headphones without much bass. For sure the 8" drivers had the best bass, even tho they aren't great drivers overall.

Getting the drivers out to about 1/2 arm's length helped imaging and getting the sound out of the head. All the way out at arm's length was getting close to a normal sound stage, but lacking bass, of course. The little oval speakers where the best for imaging, and not bad for bass. Raising the drivers above head level results in more top end, below head level more bass. I found the normal stereo triangle best, off to the sides positioned in front of the ears sounds like headphones, too close to center sounds mono.

You would want a woofer with these for sure, there just isn't much bass unless you are wearing the drivers as headphones.

TL: DR This Sounds about like you'd expect. Close to the ears gives more bass. Bigger is better, add a sub.

Fullrange drivers from left to right. GRS 8", FaitalPro 4", Vifa 3.5" Brazilian oval TV speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Near drivers.jpg (90.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 26th May 2020, 04:02 AM   #16
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> small drivers have no bass until they are within a hands width of your ear.

Within a baffle-width of your ear.

If no added baffle, then frame width.

For the small range of speakers you tested, no great difference.

Hold out a couple of 18" or 30" speakers. They do not have to be hand-width near.

The Eight in a 2-foot square of cardboard can be a foot (not just a hand) away.

Try 1-inch speakers. Need tiny hand-width or maybe thumb width.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:34 AM   #17
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

AKG K1000
Old 26th May 2020, 11:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, about a frame's width. Closer than that and they actually have decent bass.
Sometimes you'll see people post OB measurements that look a little too good in the bass. Too good until you find out the mic was 6 inches from the woofer.

What did surprise me was that only the long oval TV speakers could project any depth behind their distance plain. Not sure why that was.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:13 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Those AKG are funny. But after my tests. I wouldn't rush out to hear them.
Old 27th May 2020, 05:12 PM   #20
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

In my uneducated view, No, you needn't. I had the opportunity and I found wearing them uncomfortable enough that it took an effort to stay focused on the sound and the sound wasn't worth that effort.
Though they were a novel design (and very well built), having them on felt just as novel . . . . . . a little like a cross between Dumbo and a techno flying nun. : )

They were considered very high end by some though so what do I know?

AM I CRAZY? DIY nearfield nude driver desktop headphone conceptHide this!Advertise here!