Stax pro SRD-7 hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting a very low frequency hum in my Stax SRD-7 headphones. The frequency sounds much lower than 60hz. This is a recent development and I think my house's 110V power is dirty. There is no ground in the adapter's power supply cord. The HV supply in the adapter is a cap/diode ladder type so before I go to an isolation transformer, I was wondering if building a power supply DC filter would help?

Hi Guys

The voltage multiplier effectively cuts the hum frequency by the number of stages of multiplication. It would seem that either a diode or a cap has failed in the supply - or more likely just a cold solder joint.

Resoldering every connection fixes most problems in most types of electronics device, so that would be the thing to do first. The caps in the Stax supplies are low-value and easy to replace if you have to.

The bias supplies I build use full-wave rectification and no doubling - just RC filters using Solen caps and metal-film resistors. Because the current is essentially zero and mpedances are very high, a few 1uF caps produces a dead quiet supply. The caps discharge almost immediately upon power-down.

Have fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.