Precission EQ of Headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So those curves are a differential result to the total transfer function of some proprietary coupling system to your company. Thus we can't interpret them to some published standard. In other words they tell nothing definite to us more than how much they deviate from your non disclosed standard target.

Which standard are you referring to? Every measurement is proprietary to the measurement system in terms of raw output data. A single measurement from two identical systems can be compared if headphone placement is strictly duplicated on both. Which is why everyone does multiple measurements to average out the placement differences.

The purpose of our curves is to give information how something actually sounds like. Meaning that a 6dB peak at 5KHz in the curve will sound on headphones like a similar peak would on a flat calibrated speaker system.

Our target curve is roughly similar to Olive-Welti. Then again there can be no visual representation of a target curve that isn't proprietary to the physical measurement system and in some cases it will even vary due to peculiarities of what's being measured.

As for anechoic chambers - we have a smaller box type here in the office and regularly go to the big one to calibrate microphones. Your method lcsaszar, could work if one knew how to dial in the DSP of a measurement system so that it "hears" speaker and headphones the same as humans. To my knowledge there is no such system.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am referring to the published response of an IEC standard HATS. Like the B&K 4128.

IEC TS 60318-7 - Electroacoustics – Simulators of human head and ear – Part 7: Head and torso simulator for the measurement of hearing aids | Engineering360
https://www.bksv.com/-/media/literature/Product-Data/bp0521.ashx

By the way since you are targeting a similar to Olive's curve how come and the corrected graphs on your website aren't shown tilting towards HF? Because the calibrated speaker system in his case has a strong room curve imposed on it. Its a flat system only when in the anechoic chamber.

Your method lcsaszar, could work if one knew how to dial in the DSP of a measurement system so that it "hears" speaker and headphones the same as humans. To my knowledge there is no such system.

I am a noob here. Not sure if it is relevant, but a forum member (BYRTT) help me (and others) to EQ cheap headphones (Status Audio OB-1) to the so called Harman target response curve - which let the headphones sound like your listening to speakers. This turned these headphones into something much much better.
It is all part of a XRK971 Headamp build thread:
xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.