Diy headphone options for AKG k701's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I have a pair of k701's I need a headphone amp for. I'm interested in going the DIY option so I have more bang for buck and I like the idea of creating it myself. I have heard many ideas from people who don't actually own the headphones, but I was wondering who out there knows of a good diy option that has actually used it?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I have a pair of 701 for quite some time now.
I have buit for these cans the M3 and CKK III from amb.org and also a millett hibrid, which is the predecessor to the minimax over at beezar.com welcome page .

From the 3 the one I liked the most was the CKK III and after that the millett hibrid. All of them are great amps and you can get kits with all the parts from Colin at beezar.com or jeff rossell at Glass Jar Audio, both great guys to deal with.

There is also the torpedo design which is a high voltage tube design on a pcb which makes building safer and easier, and the B22 which is much more complex but delivers the goods!

I wouldn't recommend a cmoy or anything similar as these cans like some power.

K701 and Q702 both of which can run to decent levels with cmoy and FiiO E17, but yeah, a little underpowered.

Say again, if it's desktop, i highly recommend the M3. I forgot to mention the Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier like MASantos has said. Very good pairing for the 701.

If you want end game, the B22 is great or dynahi design. Can be built for cheap if you don't care about expensive cases or botique parts.

Thats awesome news!
Going through other posts, i could only find people suggesting what amps to buy that didn't actually have these cans.
I was looking at the millet hybrid over at BEEZAR as a potential option @MASantos but haven't yet heard about the CKK III yet, and seeing as you and ArtemisCables both recommend them i think i'll give it a shot.
i have limited experience in the DIY side of things, but understand the basic electronics of PCB boards and soldering nice and hot. Is there anything else i might need to know that the online instructions etc won't tell me?

Hey guys, I have a pair of k701's I need a headphone amp for. I'm interested in going the DIY option so I have more bang for buck and I like the idea of creating it myself. I have heard many ideas from people who don't actually own the headphones, but I was wondering who out there knows of a good diy option that has actually used it?
Thanks in advance!

Ditto on all counts. Will check out the recommended amps. Thanks!

I have k701. They sound good from the aforementioned O2 plus:
  • Project Sunrise for a good tube amp.
  • Project Polaris for sheer flexibility and great sound.
  • RJM Sapphire if you're comfortable working with AC

Is there anything else i might need to know that the online instructions etc won't tell me?

Not sure how comfortable you are with soldering, but here are a few suggestions:
  • See if the project requires any surface-mounted devices (SMD) . They can be tough soldering for a first-time project.
  • Ask if the project requires you to work with AC current. There's some risk if you make a mistake.
  • If a kit is available, consider buying it. A kit is easier than sourcing the components on your own. (The other option is to get just the PCB and buy the components from Digikey, Mouser, etc.)
  • Not all kits will include everything. Ask what isn't included.

Last edited:
The good thing about the millett hibrid is that beezar sells a complete kit with a drilled case. this saves the hardest part of diy for a newcomer which is the casework.
I would recomend starting with such a kit and check the sound.
You can always sell it later for the price it cost you. I've done this a lot to try out different amplifiers.

On the solid state side, between the m3 and ckkiii I would recommend the ckkiii as it is cheaper, easier to build and IMO has a much smoother sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.