cisco power supply, grounding and the Millett starving student

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've recently completed populating the PCB for my 12AU7 SSMH, and now I'm ready to put it into an enclosure (assuming that it all works okay)

I purchased a 48v switch mode supply off Trademe (basically Ebay for kiwis) which was listed as "delta electronics". Little did I know, it turns out that it's the same Cisco branded supply that's been reported as having issues with a floating ground output that goes above ground potential in certain operating conditions, and can fry sources connected to the SS.

This is the supply I have: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=388347&stc=1&d=1387346363

I was considering what I could do to make this supply safe to use with the SSMH, and my Skeletondac which I'm currently using as my primary source, and thought, it would be pretty easy to just tie the output ground to the ground pin of the mains outlet. Would there be any problem doing this? I assume this would eliminate any issues with transients showing up on the ground rail of my amp, but could it interfere with the switching circuitry? I have little experience with switchers, beyond building a few circuits using the 34063...

I was already considering opening up the supply to augment the filter caps and add in some inductor based filtering to clean up the supply as much as possible. So grounding the output at the same time wouldn't be any hassle for me.

If anyone could shed some light on whether my idea is workable or not I'd really appreciate it. I don't really want to buy another supply for now, as I paid a decent amount for this one, and don't mind opening it up to tweak it a little bit if it's possible to do.

Thanks for reading this!

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.